Garcia Razors Through Trenton in 5-0 WinJune 5, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Erie SeaWolves
The SeaWolves struck in the bottom of the third against Trenton starter Brett Marshall. With one out, Corey Jones walked and Jamie Johnson singled putting runners on first and second. The hit for Johnson extended his hit streak to eight straight games, equaling his season-high. Niuman Romero followed and snapped a four-game hitless streak with a double down the right field line, scoring Jones for a 1-0 lead. Johnson scored on a Rob Brantly groundout making it 2-0.
In the bottom of the third, the 'Wolves exended the lead to 3-0 when Rawley Bishop blasted his fourth home run over the wall in left. The home run snapped Erie's nine-game streak without going deep.
In the fifth, Jones led off, doubled and moved to third on a one-out Romero single. Jones scored on a Nick Castellanos sacrifice fly to right for a 4-0 lead. Castellanos, the Tigers top position player prospect, went 2-for-3 in his Double-A debut with an RBI.
Erie added an insurance run in the eighth on a Tony Plagman sacrifice fly.
The five runs were more than enough for Garcia (4-4) who earned the win tossing eight solid innings, equaling his season-high. He walked two and struck out four. Garcia has now worked at least six innings in five consecutive starts.
Austin Wood worked a perfect ninth with a pair of strikeouts preserving the shutout.
The shutout was Erie's second of the year and first since James Avery tossed a 1-0, complete game shutout on May 3 against Altoona.
The SeaWolves look for three straight wins on Wednesday night against Trenton.7:05 First Pitch. Righty Zack Segovia (5-5, 5.88 ERA) takes the mound for Erie against LHP Vidal Nuno (0-1, 0.00 ERA).
Eastern League Stories from June 5, 2012
- Aeros Pick Up Home Win, 6-2, over Rock Cats - Akron Aeros
- Senators Rally for 9-6 Win over Binghamton - Harrisburg Senators
- Britton Fires Five No-Hit Innings In Double-A Debut - Portland Sea Dogs
- Late Lead Escapes B-Mets in 9-6 Loss - Binghamton Mets
- Garcia Razors Through Trenton in 5-0 Win - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Fall to Sea Dogs in Opener - Bowie Baysox
- Garcia Helps Erie Shutout Trenton, 5-0 - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Post Second Straight Shutout, Blank Reading in Opener - Altoona Curve
- The Loneliest Number Is Enough for Squirrels in NH, 1-0 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Joel Carreno Works Seven Innings But Richmond Tops Fisher Cats 1-0 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Trenton Thunder - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Bowie Baysox Announce Player Moves - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at New Hampshire - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Familiar Faces Join Aeros Today - Akron Aeros
- Slugger Slides into Sweet 16 in Best Mascot Contest - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rock Cats Pitcher Promoted - New Britain Rock Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- TNA IMPACT BaseBrawl Coming to Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Harrisburg Senators - Binghamton Mets
- Celebrate Father's Day with the Baysox - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.