Rainiers Rolled By River Cats, 13-4June 5, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Tacoma Rainiers
The Rainiers held a 3-1 edge through five innings before the River Cats exploded for eight runs on five hits and five walks in the top of the sixth, the most runs Tacoma has allowed in a single frame this season.
Michael Taylor, Grant Green and Jermaine Mitchell all singled in runs to give Sacramento a 6-3 advantage, and second baseman Brandon Hicks contributed three more with a two-out, three-RBI double that stretched Sacramento's lead to 9-3.
Tacoma originally jumped ahead 2-0 in the fourth inning. A fielding error committed by the Sacramento shortstop Green on a ground ball hit by Vinnie Catricala plated Franklin Gutierrez for the first run of the evening. Shortstop Carlos Triunfel drove in another after grounding into a fielder's choice.
Infielder Luis Rodriguez stretched a 2-1 Rainiers lead back two runs with an RBI-single with two outs in the bottom of the fifth.
Tacoma collected a combined seven hits in the contest, with Trayvon Robinson and Luis Jimenez each turning in two hit efforts. Outfielder Johan Limonta hit a solo home run - his third this season - with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.
Starter Anthony Vasquez (5-4) was dealt the loss after surrendering six runs on six hits over 5.2 innings. Relievers Josh Kinney, Jarrett Grube and Brian Sweeney combined to allow seven runs on seven hits over 3.1 innings out of the bullpen.
The Rainiers (24-34) host the club's series finale with the River Cats (37-22) at 11:35 a.m. tomorrow, June 4. Right-hander Jeff Marquez (4-5, 6.47) is scheduled to start for Tacoma against Sacramento right-hander Graham Godfrey (3-0, 1.19).
Every Rainiers game can be heard live on South Sound Sports 850-AM and is available to be streamed online at www.tacomarainiers.com.
To purchase season tickets, group packages or party decks for the 2012 season, call (253) 752-7707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Up-to-date news and notes throughout the season can be found at www.tacomarainiers.com and by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 5, 2012
- Aces Knock-Off Las Vegas, 8-1 - Reno Aces
- Former I-Cub Snyder Hits Walk-Off for RedHawks - Iowa Cubs
- Tucson Uses Nine-Run Fourth to Down Sox 9-5 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Huge Fourth Lifts Tucson - Tucson Padres
- Isotopes Snag Series Split 2-0 Behind Ely Gem - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Snyder's Walk-Off Keeps Streak Alive - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Express Blanked by Albuquerque 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- Rogers Tosses Gem as Sounds Blank Z's, 1-0 - Nashville Sounds
- Z's Silenced in the Music City - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Godfrey's Mastery Gives Cats 8-1 Win, Series Victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Shut Down By Sacramento, 8-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Omaha Hangs on to Beat Memphis, 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Albuquerque Isotopes - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: June 5, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Midsouth Chevy Dealers Provide Free Youth Baseball Instructional Clinics - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks to Make Run at Team History Tonight - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Omaha Storm Chasers to Host Round Rock from June 7 - 10 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Rolled By River Cats, 13-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Eight-Run Inning Lifts Cats to 13-4 Win over Tacoma - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.