Hankins Walks off Captains in 13 InningsJune 4, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lake County Captains
The Captains scored in the first inning when Todd Hankins walked to begin the ballgame. He moved to second base on a ground ball by Francisco Lindor. Jordan Smith then singled him home and the Captains led 1-0 after one frame of baseball.
Fort Wayne scored two runs in the fourth inning. Tyler Stubblefield singled to left field to lead off the inning and raced home to tie the ballgame when Travis Whitmore doubled to centerfield. Whitmore moved to third on a groundball to first and scored on a sacrifice fly by Lee Orr. It was a 2-1 TinCaps lead.
Fort Wayne extended their lead when Casey McElroy homered in the top of the seventh inning. The Tincaps led the ball game 3-1. In the bottom of the eighth inning Zach MacPhee was on first base and Carlos Santana from the Indians was at the plate. Santana was on a minor league rehab stint with the Captains on Monday Night. Santana homered to deep right field, which tied the ballgame at 3-3, and sent the contest to extra frames.
RHP Cody Hebner (5-2) got the nod for Fort Wayne. Hebner earned the win after twirling six full innings, allowing three hits one run it was earned and walked one and struck out eight. The TinCaps bullpen pitched four innings allowing two runs and both earned, on the homer by Santana. Matt Stites allowed the homerun to Santana. The loss went to Robert Eisenbach (0-3). Eisenbach allowed the walk off single to Hankins in the 13th inning.
RHP Joe Colon (5-5) took the ball for the Captains and did not factor into the decision. Colon pitched seven innings allowing four hits, three runs all earned, two walks and struck out four. Colon also game up the homer to Casey McElroy. Cole Cook entered the ballgame and pitched one inning. Cook walked one. Jeff Johnson was on in the ninth. Johnson walked two and struck out two and got out of the ninth with no damage. In the tenth Mason Radeke entered the ballgame for the Captains. Radeke (3-1) got the win after pitching four complete innings allowing two hits he walked one and struck out eight.
The Captains will not be in action until Wednesday night. Wednesday night the Captains will travel to Dayton to take on the Dragons. The Captains will send Mid-West League All-Star RHP Cody Anderson (4-2, 2.52) to the mound against LHP Tanner Robles (3-3, 4.60) for Dayton.
Full season tickets plans, 7-, 12-, 20-, and 35-game mini ticket plans for the 2012 season are on sale now at great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
The Lake County Captains are a Class A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians and play their home games at Classic Park in Eastlake, at the corners of State Route 91 and Vine Street. For more information on the Captains, please visit the team's official website at www.CaptainsBaseball.com.
Midwest League Stories from June 4, 2012
- Snappers Snake Bitten - Beloit Snappers
- LumberKings Collect 14 Hits in 9-3 Drubbing - Clinton LumberKings
- Loons Swept in Whitecaps Undertow - Great Lakes Loons
- Rattlers rally, then hold on, to beat Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Defeat TinCaps in 13 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hankins Walks off Captains in 13 Innings - Lake County Captains
- Hald Goes the Distance in 6-2 Win over Burlington - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Top Hot Rods, Win Second Straight Series - Dayton Dragons
- Brett Stays Red Hot But Hot Rods Drop Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Shutout Cougars 2-0 in Series Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Take Series with Shutout - Kane County Cougars
- Local Sculptor Dedicates Sculpture to Discovery Museum & Educators - Great Lakes Loons
- Four Silver Hawks Named to Eastern Division All-Star Roster - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Franchise-Record Eight Players Named to Midwest League - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Stayton Thomas Received from Hudson Valley - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Three Cougars Selected for Midwest League All-Star Game - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Announce "LumberStock 2012" - Clinton LumberKings
- LumberKings Send Austin, Shipers and Griffin to All-Star Game - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains to Send Three Players to the Midwest League All Star Game - Lake County Captains
- Four River Bandits Among Western Division All-Stars - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Ryan Wright to Play in All-Star Game - Dayton Dragons
- Jamieson, Granier, & Frankoff Named to All-Star Team - Burlington Bees
- Seven Lugnuts Named MWL All-Stars - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Place Four on MWL All-Star Team - Peoria Chiefs
- Seven Timber Rattlers Named to the West Division Team for MWL All-Star Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Put Three on MWL All-Star Team - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- May Scholar Athletes Awarded - Great Lakes Loons
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- Bees' Pen Is Mightier Than Bandits', 3-1 - Burlington Bees
- Silver Hawks Thwarted by Stingy Lugnuts - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lugs trim magic number to 1 with 1-0 win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Whitecaps Offer Free Parking this Saturday - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Timber Rattlers Present "Mutts on the Mound" Day on Sunday, June 10 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Gameday for June 4 - Dayton Dragons
- MBF Launches Dodgers Dream Vacation Raffle - Great Lakes Loons
- 2B Jon Berti on 7-day DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Indians Catcher Carlos Santana to Rehab with Captains Today - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.