Beach Bums Power Past Grizzlies to Close out Road TripJune 3, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Traverse City Beach Bums
Traverse City got on the board with the initial run of the game on a Sean Gusrang homer in the second inning. Gateway would come back with two runs in the bottom of the inning on an Antone DeJesus double to take a 2-1 lead.
The Beach Bums would get one of the runs back and tie the game in the top of the third when Jeff Flagg hit his league-leading eighth homer of the season. In the bottom of the frame, Gateway plated three runs, two of them on a Jon Myers double to take a 5-2 edge.
Unaunted, the Beach Bums started their comeback in the fourth with a two out rally. Ryan Still started the charge with a double followed by a Kyle Colligan single, scoring Still to cut the lead to 5-3. Burch came up next and singled home Colligan for his first RBI of the game while cutting the deficit to a single run.
Traverse City would continue the onslaught in the sixth as with the bases loaded, Burch came through again with an RBI single to score Brian Heere to tie the game at 5-5. The Beach Bums would forge ahead in the seventh, taking advantage of wildness form the Gateway bullpen who loaded the bases on two walks and a single. Kyle Eveland came up and took a four pitch walk to force in Jose Vargas form third and give TC a 6-5 lead. Heere followed with a sac fly to deep cemnter to score Chris Kay and make it 7-5. A pitching change made no difference as Still came in and laid down a perfect sacrifice bunt on the first pitch he saw from Richard Barrett to push the lead ot three.
After the Grizzlies scored a run in the bottom of the eighth, Traverse City would put the game away in the ninth with four runs, three coming on Burch's third homer of the season.
It was the fifth 5-RBI game for Burch in a Beach Bums uniform in his career and the second at GCS Ballpark where in nine career games, he has driven in 22 runs.
Nick Capito (2-0) picked up the win with 1.2 excellent innings out of the bullpen, striking out three. Chris Enourato (0-2) took the loss for Gateway.
Traverse City now has Monday off before starting a six-game homestand on Tuesday against Rockford. Brooks Bel;ter (1-0, 3.00) gets the start for the Beach Bums against Kasey Kiler (0-1, 9.00) for the RiverHawks. It is a Two for Tuesday at 7:05 p.m with all chairback seats being 2-for-1 that night.
Frontier League Stories from June 3, 2012
- Evansville Holds on in 16-11 Slugfest at River City - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Give up 16; Comeback Falls Short - River City Rascals
- Florence Tops CornBelters in 10 - Normal CornBelters
- Miners Sweep Schaumburg - Southern Illinois Miners
- Despite Season High 14 Hits Boomers Swept in Southern Illinois - Schaumburg Boomers
- Grizzlies Drop Home Series to Beach Bums - Gateway Grizzlies
- Crushers leave 11 on base as Windy City takes Rubber Match, 7-4 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Power Past Grizzlies to Close out Road Trip - Traverse City Beach Bums
- RiverHawks Shut Down in Finale - Rockford RiverHawks
- ThunderBolts Host IHSA Super-Sectional Doubleheader on Monday - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rippers Win First Series in Blowout - London Rippers
- Washington Slams Door on Joliet, Wins 13-5 - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Drop Series Finale 13-5 - Joliet Slammers
- June 3 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.