Beetles Battle for 6-2 Win over DuluthJune 1, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Alexandria Beetles
Jon Reed (1-0) earned the win after relieving Lakatos, who ran out of gas in the fourth after allowing just one hit through the first three innings. Reed inherited a bases-loaded jam and stranded two of the runners on base.
Coaching in front of his father on Bret Saberhagen night, Beetles manager Drew Saberhagen earned his second win as skipper.
For the third consecutive game to begin the season, the Beetles led after the first inning of play. With two outs and a runner on first, Ben Moore hit slicing ball down the right field line that dropped fair and rolled to the corner. Johnny Tolson chugged around to score on Moore's triple and the Beetles led 1-0.
Lakatos set down the first eight batters he faced before allowing a two-out single in the top of the third, but he struggled with his control as he approached his pitch cap in the fourth. He walked two batters to start the inning and after his sixth strikeout, walked a third batter in the inning, throwing a wild pitch in the process that allowed the tying run to score.
After Luke Campbell singled off of the reliever Reed to drive in the go-ahead run, Reed struck out the next two hitters to retire the side and end the Duluth threat.
Alexandria answered right back in the bottom of the inning scoring twice despite just one hit thanks to an error and two wild pitches.
The game remained 3-2 until the seventh when a pair of hit batsmen and two throwing errors by relief pitcher Andrew Grifol - the first on a pick-off attempt and the second on a comebacker - allowed the Beetles to extend the lead to 6-2.
With Nick Berhel and Corey Fitzgerald each throwing scoreless frames to preserve the advantage, Caleb DeLee came in to lose out the victory in the ninth. Despite struggling with his control and loading the bases with a hit batter, a single and a walk, DeLee struck out Taylor Burch on a ball in the dirt to preserve the victory.
Beetles first baseman Will Fulmer was hit by a pitch for the third consecutive game and the Duluth defense committed five errors leading to three unearned Alexandria runs.
The same teams return to the field at Knute Nelson for a 7:05 start on Saturday.
Northwoods League Stories from June 1, 2012
- Flores Leads MoonDogs to Home Opener Victory - Mankato MoonDogs
- Express Steal One from Rafters - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox fall at Mankato - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Lose Series Opener at Waterloo, 6-3 - Willmar Stingers
- Beetles Battle for 6-2 Win over Duluth - Alexandria Beetles
- Honkers Pick up First Victory on Lukkason's Walkoff - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards complete sweep of Bombers - Battle Creek Bombers
- Bullfrogs Pound 'Chucks, 9-0 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Munoz's Walk-Off Hit in the Ninth Gives Mallards 3-2 Win - Madison Mallards
- Northwoods League Announces Webcast Streaming Options - Northwoods
- Chinooks Ready for Monday's Home Opener - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Mallards Begin Weekend Series with Loggers Tonight at the "Duck Pond" - Madison Mallards
- 'Frogs Drop Series Finale to Lakeshore - Green Bay Bullfrogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.