Round Rock Sinks MemphisJune 1, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Memphis Redbirds
The Express jumped on Redbirds starter Shelby Miller for five runs in the first inning and cruised to victory. Miller loaded the bases with three consecutive walks as Val Majewski stepped to the plate to send home Round Rock's first run with a force out at second base. Miller walked Dusty Brown to load the bases once again, only to have Matt Kata hit a grand slam in the next at-bat for a 5-0 Express lead.
The 'Birds tacked three on in the third inning with a bases loaded double by Eugenio Velez, which would end up being the only Redbirds runs in the game. A four-run seventh inning extended Round Rock's lead to 9-3 with RBI-singles by Joey Butler, Mike Bianucci and Kata and an RBI-double by Majewski. Kata lead the Express at the plate going 3-for-6 with five RBI while Majewski collected three RBI on the night as well. Velez lead Memphis going 2-for-3 with three RBI while Jamie Romak also picked up a pair of hits.
Miller took the loss tossing three innings, surrendering five runs on two hits and four walks while striking out three. Express starter Zach Jackson gave up three runs on four hits over six innings while walking four and striking out two for his second win.
Memphis wraps up their four-game series and the homestand tomorrow night with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Tomorrow night will be a David Freese tribute night with the first 3,000 fans receiving a David Freese t-shirt presented by Prestone Antifreeze. Turner Dairy will hand out free ice cream upon entrance to the first 1,000 fans in the plaza. For ticket information call 901.721.6000 or visit memphisredbirds.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 1, 2012
- Las Vegas wins 11-1 - Tucson Padres
- Cubs' Comeback Spoiled by Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Storm Chasers Tame the I-Cubs on Friday, Win 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Sweep Sounds, 5-3 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Express Blank 'Birds, Split Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Reynolds, Express Squeak by Memphis 3-0 - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Triple-Play Not Enough in 2-0 Loss to Zephyrs - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Lose 5-3, Swept by Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Name 1B Anthony Rizzo, RHP P.J. Francescon Minor League Player, Pitcher of the Month for May - Iowa Cubs
- Royals Activate INF Yuniesky Betancourt - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: June 1, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Follow RedHawks Broadcaster Alex Freedman on Twitter - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sounds Announce 2012 Trevecca Nazarene University Faith Nights - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Turns Triple Play in Win over Tucson - Tucson Padres
- Round Rock Sinks Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express Slam Memphis 9-3 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.