Hand Takes No-Hitter into EighthMay 30, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) New Orleans Zephyrs
Hand walked Trent Oeltjen to lead off the game, and issued a two-out walk to Tim Federowicz in the second inning, the only two baserunners to reach against Hand until the eighth, when the left-hander went to the mound to begin the inning with a zero in Albuquerque's hit column, and 110 pitches under his belt.
Hand struck out Josh Fields looking to get within five outs of the first Zephyrs no-hitter since Brian Powell in 2001, but Federowicz drove a 2-1 pitch over the fence in right-center field, ending the no-hit bid and Hand's night.
The 22-year-old finished with 7 1/3 innings, a season best, yielding the one hit and matching a 10-strikeout performance against Memphis on April 11.
Rob Delaney came on and recorded two outs around a bunt single to Matt Angle, and Sandy Rosario worked a perfect ninth inning to pick up his league-leading 14th save.
The Zephyrs gave Hand all the run support he would need in the first inning, when Kevin Mattis led off with a walk and scored on a single to right by Gaby Sanchez. Nick Green's bloop single to left also plated a run, putting New Orleans on top 2-0.
The Z's doubled the lead in the fourth, as Mike Cervenak doubled into the left field corner and scored on Jose Duarte's grounder through the hole at second. Hand helped his cause by sending a single up the middle, extending the lead to 4-0, and allowing him to settle in on the mound.
He retired 17 batters in a row before losing the no-hitter, and struck out four in a row at one point, including striking out the side in the sixth.
New Orleans and Albuquerque continue the series on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m., with left-hander Wade LeBlanc starting for the Zephyrs against Isotopes right-hander Stephen Fife.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 30, 2012
- Bass, RedHawks Stymie Sounds, 7-2 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Redbirds Rally by Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Blank Zephyrs 4-0 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Round Rock Express Clipped at Memphis 4-3 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' Struggles against RedHawks Continue with 7-2 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Hand Takes No-Hitter into Eighth - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Fife Flummoxes Z's in 4-0 'Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Cruises to 13-5 Win over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Roughed Up At Reno, 13-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Banwart Leads Sacramento over Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Wednesday's Chasers and I-Cubs Game Postponed - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Cubs Rained out in Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats Win Second-Straight against Grizzlies, 3-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Cubs Add RHP Shane Lindsay - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Oswalt Scheduled to Start for Express Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers and Budweiser of Omaha Team up for Children of Fallen and Disabled Soldiers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Win Rain-Shortened Game, 2-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Padres' Rally Catches Las Vegas in Sixth - Tucson Padres
- Aces Take Opener over Tacoma, 7-5 - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Taken Down By Reno, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Hicks' Walk-Off Home Run Lifts River Cats Past Grizzlies, 4-2 - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.