Banwart Leads Sacramento over FresnoMay 30, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Fresno Grizzlies
The only run allowed by Banwart was in the second inning on a two-out single by Fresno first baseman Tyler LaTorre. The Grizzlies would not threaten the rest of the day, and only in the second did they have a runner reach as far as second base.
It was 1-0 Fresno going to the bottom of the fifth inning, and then the River Cats got busy against Grizzlies starter Shawn Sanford (0-2). The right-hander walked shortstop Brandon Hicks to lead off the frame. Then third baseman Stephen Parker blooped a single into center field which moved Hicks to second. Following Hicks, center fielder Grant Green stood in, and he ripped a 3-1 pitch down the left field line for a double that scored Hicks and tied the game. With runners at second and third, second baseman Eric Sogard stood in, and he singled to center field, which scored Parker and Green to make it 3-1 River Cats.
Sanford worked four-plus innings, giving up four hits, three runs (all earned), five walks, and striking out two. Both of his strikeouts were against Sacramento designated hitter Manny Ramirez.
All of Fresno's hits were singles.
The Grizzlies were able to get the tying run to the plate throughout much of the game including in the eighth and ninth. But right-handed River Cats closer Evan Scribner (5) struck out Grizzlies second baseman Charlie Culberson to end the game.
Game three of this scheduled four-game series will be on Thursday night at Raley Field with a 7:05 first pitch. Right-hander Yusmeiro Petit (2-2) will pitch for Fresno against Sacramento righty Graham Godfrey (3-0).
GRIZZLIES PAWS: Before Wednesday's game, Fresno left fielder Roger Kieschnick was placed on the disabled list with a left shoulder injury. He crashed into the left field fence trying catch Sacramento's Brandon Hicks two-run homer which ended the game on Tuesday. Kieschnick will be taken to San Francisco for an X-ray and MRI. Third baseman Conor Gillaspie (groin) was activated from the disabled list before the game on Wednesday to take Kieschnick's spot on the roster.
Grizzlies outfielder/infielder Juan Ciriaco has reached base safely in his last nine games and the last 13 games in which he has started. He walked on Wednesday.
The earned runs allowed by Sanford were the first he allowed with Fresno. Prior to the fifth inning, he went ten innings without any earned runs as a Grizzly.
Former Sacramento State pitcher/punter Mitch Lively made his Raley Field debut as a player on Wednesday. The Grizzly pitcher worked two shutout innings, including a strikeout of Manny Ramirez. Lively, despite going to college in town, had only been to this ballpark as a fan.
LaTorre, who went to UC-Davis, had played at Raley Field while he was with the Aggies.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 30, 2012
- Bass, RedHawks Stymie Sounds, 7-2 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Redbirds Rally by Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Blank Zephyrs 4-0 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Round Rock Express Clipped at Memphis 4-3 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' Struggles against RedHawks Continue with 7-2 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Hand Takes No-Hitter into Eighth - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Fife Flummoxes Z's in 4-0 'Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Cruises to 13-5 Win over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Roughed Up At Reno, 13-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Banwart Leads Sacramento over Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Wednesday's Chasers and I-Cubs Game Postponed - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Cubs Rained out in Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats Win Second-Straight against Grizzlies, 3-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Cubs Add RHP Shane Lindsay - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Oswalt Scheduled to Start for Express Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers and Budweiser of Omaha Team up for Children of Fallen and Disabled Soldiers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Win Rain-Shortened Game, 2-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Padres' Rally Catches Las Vegas in Sixth - Tucson Padres
- Aces Take Opener over Tacoma, 7-5 - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Taken Down By Reno, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Hicks' Walk-Off Home Run Lifts River Cats Past Grizzlies, 4-2 - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.