Portillo Named Midwest League Pitcher of the WeekMay 29, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
The native of Venezuela has a 3-2 record in 10 starts to go along with a Midwest League-best 1.48 ERA. He has engineered a stellar 2012 season after a difficult 2011 with the TinCaps. Through 10 starts with Fort Wayne last year, Portillo was 1-6 with a 7.22 ERA. He had walked 27 batters and struck out 48 in 38 2/3 innings.
This season, Portillo has struck out 50 batters while walking 24 in 54 2/3 innings. His .155 batting average against ranks third among starters in the 16-team circuit and he has allowed the second fewest (8.89) baserunners per nine innings among starting pitchers.
This is the first Midwest League honor for a TinCaps player this season.
Midwest League Stories from May 29, 2012
- Chiefs Beat Rattlers in 14 on Zapata Single - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs avoid sweep, beat Rattlers in 14 innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Great Lakes Rallies Late to Win 6-5 - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels drop series final to Quad Cities, 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Top Prospect Earns First Win, Bees Beat Clinton 7-2 - Burlington Bees
- Hawks Drop Extra Inning Bout with Loons - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Hot Rods Close Series with 8-2 Win over TinCaps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts outslug Captains in finale, 10-9 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings Drop Finale; Lose Series to Burlington - Clinton LumberKings
- Lugnuts Win Back and Forth Game 10-9 - Lake County Captains
- Hager's Blast Completes Lengthy Trip with Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Waldrop Named Midwest League Hitter of the Week - Dayton Dragons
- Portillo Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Home Stand Features Cleveland Sports History Night, More - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Announce Entertainment Acts - Dayton Dragons
- Extra-Inning Woes Continue for Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Thursday and Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Shut out by West Michigan 8-0 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Head out to Pohlman Field for An Action Packed Weekend - Beloit Snappers
- Limited Tickets Remain for Driver Softball Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.