Crawdads Cruise to 8-3 Win in OpenerMay 28, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Delmarva Shorebirds
Brian Roberts is scheduled to play in some capacity for the Shorebirds on Tuesday and Wednesday at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium as he continues his rehab assignment.
The Crawdads scored an early run in the first inning. Shorebirds starter Parker Bridwell walked three batters including Chris Grayson with the bases loaded.
Bridwell responded with a perfect second inning before running into trouble in the third. Luis Sardinas reached on a fielding error by Nicky Delmonico. Sardinas stole second, one of six stolen bases by the Crawdads, and reached third on a passed ball. He scored on an infield single by Hanser Alberto. The Crawdads added two more runs on sacrifice flies by Chris Grayson and Jordan Akins to build a 4-0 lead.
The Shorebirds scored in the fourth inning. Mikey Planeta and Nicky Delmonico hit back-to-back singles. After a walk to Brenden Webb, Wynston Sawyer lifted a sacrifice fly to left field to cut the deficit to 4-1.
The Crawdads added a run in the sixth and three runs in the seventh to build an 8-1 cushion.
In the bottom of the seventh, the Shorebirds plated runs. Sawyer led off with a single to left field. Then, Connor Narron ripped a double to the warning track in right-center. Givens followed with a soft groundout to first that scored Sawyer. Sammie Starr then lined out to left to bring home Narron.
The Shorebirds went in order in the eighth and ninth innings.
Bridwell (2-3) was pinned with the loss over 3.2 innings pitched. He allowed three hits and two earned runs. Bridwell issued six walks and struck out three.
Jake Cowan followed Bridwell and gave up just two hits and a run in 2.1 innings. David Baker pitched the final three innings and surrendered six hits and three runs.
Glynn Davis led the Shorebirds with three hits. Givens went 2-for-4.
The Shorebirds and Crawdads play game three of the series on Tuesday night at 7:05pm. LHP Matt Taylor is the scheduled starter.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 28, 2012
- Wild Game Goes to Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- T's Win Entertaining Opener Versus RiverDogs 15-12 - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Get Past Augusta in 10, 4-3 - Lexington Legends
- Biagini Masterpiece Wasted In Extras Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Fall 7-6 in Homestand Finale Sunday Night - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Ground Shorebirds with 8-3 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Cruise to 8-3 Win in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Storm Past BlueClaws in Fourth - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Twice Comes from Behind to Beat Braves - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Continue Win Streak, Repel Sand Gnats - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Game Notes vs. Hickory - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jakob Dalfonso Released - Rome Braves
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Legends Open Seven-Game Homestand Monday - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.