Power Storm Past BlueClaws in FourthMay 28, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) West Virginia Power
The BlueClaws scored a run in the second inning on a sacrifice fly and added a run in the third on a single by Kyrell Hudson off Power starter Zack Dodson for the early lead.
In the fourth, Lakewood went to the bullpen and brought in Gabriel Arias. The Power responded with four straight one-out singles, including a hit from Kirk Singer that drove in a pair to tie the game. Francisco Diaz hit a sac fly that plated Junior Sosa and put West Virginia up 3-2.
The Power added a run in the fifth against Arias on three straight hits to build a two run lead at 4-2. Gregory Polanco singled in Alen Hanson from second and gave West Virginia a much needed insurance run.
The BlueClaws final run came in the seventh on a home run by Aaron Altherr. Lakewood threatened in the eighth with a leadoff double, but Robbie Kilcrease stranded that runner at third to protect the one run lead.
Zack Dodson made the start for West Virginia but did not factor in the decision. Dodson pitched four and two-thirds, allowing two runs on five hits while striking out four. Vince Payne (1-0) struck out three in two and a third innings pitched for his first win of the season and Kilcrease gained his third save. Arias (1-3) took the loss after allowing four runs on seven hits.
This series continues Tuesday night at Appalachian Power Park. Robby Rowland will make the start for the Power against the BlueClaws Ervis Manzanillo with a 7:05 pm first pitch slated.
POWER RECORD: 16-35
South Atlantic League Stories from May 28, 2012
- Wild Game Goes to Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- T's Win Entertaining Opener Versus RiverDogs 15-12 - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Get Past Augusta in 10, 4-3 - Lexington Legends
- Biagini Masterpiece Wasted In Extras Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Fall 7-6 in Homestand Finale Sunday Night - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Ground Shorebirds with 8-3 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Cruise to 8-3 Win in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Storm Past BlueClaws in Fourth - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Twice Comes from Behind to Beat Braves - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Continue Win Streak, Repel Sand Gnats - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Game Notes vs. Hickory - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jakob Dalfonso Released - Rome Braves
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Legends Open Seven-Game Homestand Monday - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.