Bowie Blows by Curve on Star-Studded SaturdayMay 26, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Altoona Curve
Britton allowed the first advantage of the night to go to the Curve when Altoona plated two runs following a two-out error in the top of the second. An RBI single by Elevys Gonzalez and a wild pitch that scored Quincy Latimore gave the Curve their only lead of the night at 2-0.
Bowie seized the upper hand for good in an odd bottom of the second in which ten men came to the plate and four scored on just two hits as the Baysox took advantage of a hit-by-pitch, a wild pitch, a passed ball, a balk, and three walks to build their lead at 4-2. Curve starter Nathan Baker (3-5) struggled with command on the day, throwing just 41 of his 80 pitches for strikes, issuing five walks, and seeing his start end after just three innings.
Britton's fellow Baltimore rehabbers Endy Chavez and Mark Reynolds from the Orioles each had a hit in support of Britton (1-0) and three Baysox relievers, and Chavez scored two runs. Bowie extended its lead to 7-2 with a three-run fifth before Latimore cranked his third homer in a week, a three-run shot to make the game a two-run affair, in the top of the sixth. With the Curve in striking distance, though, Bowie pulled away, plating another run in the bottom of the sixth and one in the eighth to carry a 9-5 advantage into the final frame.
With two outs, a run home in the ninth, and a man aboard for the Curve in a 9-6 game, the Baysox summoned closer Greg Burke who got the final out of the night on a fly to center off the bat of Jarek Cunningham. The loss was the Curve's first in five games at Bowie this year.
The Curve and Baysox hook up under the sun on Sunday for game three of this four-game series. Altoona will send right-hander Matt McSwain (2-1, 5.14) in a spot start to realign the rotation after this week's doubleheader against righty Bobby Bundy (2-7, 5.26) with first pitch set for 2:05. Airtime on ESPN 1430 and the Curve Radio Network is scheduled for 1:35.
Eastern League Stories from May 26, 2012
- Aeros Fall to SeaWolves, 7-3 - Akron Aeros
- Senators snap losing streak - Harrisburg Senators
- Big Brother Buck Lifts Zach - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Blast Past B-Mets, 8-2 - Binghamton Mets
- Fisher Cats Top Mets for Third Straight Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Bowie Blows by Curve on Star-Studded Saturday - Altoona Curve
- Marshall, Three Relievers K 14 Squirrels in 1-0 Win - Trenton Thunder
- Thunder Blanks Squirrels in Game Two, 1-0 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Take Two from Twins Affiliate - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron Aeros - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. Trenton - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs New Hampshire Fisher Cats - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.