Fargo-Moorhead Shuts out PheasantsMay 26, 2012 - American Association (AA) Sioux Falls Canaries
Starter Alex Caldera (1-0) led the effort with seven scoreless innings, scattering just four hits. He walked three and struck out four. Relievers Joe Harris, Kyle Dahman and Kevin Fuqua combined to finish the final two innings.
Enrique Cruz drove home the RedHawks' first run with a single in the first inning. Nic Jackson contributed an RBI groundout in the third. Cruz and Jackson each notched one more RBI in the fifth for the 4-0 lead.
Pheasants hitters were stymied by Caldera, who faced more than four batters in an inning just once. The Pheasants placed four men in scoring position, but stranded them each time. Caldera has not been scored upon this year in 13 1/3 innings pitched.
Matthew Sommo (0-1) made his first professional start with the Pheasants and took the loss. He gave up all four runs on just four hits but was plagued by five walks, three of which eventually scored. The RedHawks tallied five hits in total, all singles.
The Pheasants bullpen continued to be a bright spot in the early season. Tom Heithoff, Jack Van Leur and Dan Cooper combined for three shutout innings. The bullpen has a collective 2.88 ERA.
Jared Bolden and Jonny Kaplan both extended a hitting streak to eight games, and Trevor Lawhorn stretched his to seven games.
The rubber game of the three-game series is at 1 p.m. on Sunday, May 27, in Fargo. The game will be broadcast on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 1230-AM KWSN.
American Association Stories from May 26, 2012
- T-Bones Edge AirHogs 4-3, Complete Three-Game Sweep - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wild Game Leaves Goldeyes with Loss to End Road Trip - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Diablos Win Wild One At Cohen, Snap Losing Streak - El Paso Diablos
- It's dÃ©jÃ vu for AirHogs in another 4-3 loss - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- 'Dogs Dodge Collapse, Alonso Wears Cape in Walk-Off Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Win Fourth Straight - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Lose Pitchers' Duel 2-1 to Explorers - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Drop Series in 6-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks shut out Pheasants - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Fargo-Moorhead Shuts out Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RailCats Announce Five Roster Moves - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Partner with Techway to Help E-Recycling Effort - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Pittsburgh Pirates Purchase Kasparek's Contract - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Voting Open for Top Designated Hitter - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Amarillo Cycles on the Lemurs - Laredo Lemurs
- Kansas City Edges Grand Prairie, in Position for Sweep on Saturday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Guerrero, Arms Lift Pheasants Past Fargo-Moorhead - Sioux Falls Canaries
- T-Bones Nip AirHogs After Controversial Eighth - Grand Prairie AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.