Miners Bats' Come Alive in Win against CornBeltersMay 25, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Southern Illinois Miners
Daniel Calhoun got the start for the Miners tonight. Through five innings he allowed six hits and gave up four runs, three earned. He walked one, struck out four and gave up three home runs.
The offense tonight for the Miners took center stage. After leading 1-0 heading into the top of the second inning, Darian Sandford hit a two run double to give the Miners a 3-0 lead off CornBelters starter Justin Albert. Jake Kaase made it 4-0 after bringing in Sandford with a RBI single. Matt Fields hit a solo home run in the top of the third inning to make it 5-0. Two more runs came across due to an error by center-fielder Alvaro Ramirez.
The offense didn't stop there. After leading 7-1, the CornBelters hit back to back home runs in the bottom of the fourth (Robert Brooks and Steven Felix). Catcher Pat Trettel hit a RBI double as well. Leading 7-4, the Miners added a run in the top of the fifth inning. Matt Fields hit a solo home run in the top of the eighth inning to make it 9-4.
Leading 9-5 heading into the top of the ninth, the Miners scored five runs. Jake Kaase had a RBI single and Chad Maddox hit a grand slam to make it 14-5 in favor of Southern Illinois.
Ryan Quigley threw an inning in relief. He allowed one hit, one walk and struck out a batter. Ian Campbell threw two innings. He allowed two hits and one run, a solo home run by Steven Felix. Casey Fry closed out the game in the bottom of the ninth. He struck out two batters.
The Miners and CornBelters play an afternoon game at the Corn Crib tomorrow. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 pm. Tune in to the Heartland Regional Medical Center pregame show with Mike Ventola on the Miners Radio Network at 2:40 pm.
Frontier League Stories from May 25, 2012
- Hawks Lose Home Opener - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Bats' Come Alive in Win against CornBelters - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers tally seven two out hits in 8-2 win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Slammers Win Second Straight - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Fall Short in 3-2 Loss against Frontier League Champs - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Topple Windy City in Home Opener - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Rascals Win Fifth-Straight - River City Rascals
- CornBelters fall to Miners - Normal CornBelters
- Washington drops game to Rascals - Washington Wild Things
- Rippers Open Labatt Park with Win - London Rippers
- Grizzlies Drop Another One-Run Game on Road Trip - Gateway Grizzlies
- RiverHawks Sign Guilford Alum - Rockford RiverHawks
- May 25 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Bring Back Fontenot, Make Trade for Outfielder - Evansville Otters
- Flame-Throwing Shackleford Bids Farewll to Florence, Signed by Mariners - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.