Bullpen Dominant, Provencher Clutch as 'Dogs Split SeriesMay 24, 2012 - American Association (AA) Lincoln Saltdogs
Sioux City left fielder Yusuke Inoguchi dropped a fly ball in the ninth and it cost the X's the game, as Provencher delivered the go-ahead sacrifice fly in the top of the ninth.
Provencher also came through with a two-out, two-run single to tie the game at 3-3 in the top of the seventh (on an 0-2 pitch from Eddie Delacruz).
The Explorers committed two errors, leading to two unearned runs scored by Lincoln.
Pete Parise (2-0) pitched a hitless eighth, striking out two to earn the win. Chris Bodishbaugh (0-1) allowed an unearned run to suffer the tough-luck loss. P.J. Zocchi worked a perfect ninth to notch his third save.
Brandon Cooney pitched 1 2/3 innings of middle relief to bridge the gap between Ryan Sheldon and the endgame.
Brad Payne went 2-for-2 with two walks and two stolen bases.
The game was delayed by rain for 61 minutes in the middle of the first inning.
The Saltdogs return home for Opening Night at Haymarket Park Friday at 7:05 p.m. against the New Jersey Jackals. Chandler Barnard (0-0, 4.50) is expected to pitch for the 'Dogs against Steve Fox (1-0, 9.00). Radio coverage begins at 6:35 p.m. on KFOR 1240.
Opening Night 2012 at Haymarket Park is Friday night at 7:05 p.m. as the Saltdogs host the New Jersey Jackals, with a fireworks show following the ballgame. For tickets call 402-474-2255 or visit www.saltdogs.com.
American Association Stories from May 24, 2012
- Fish Win in Extras to Open Series against Diablos - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Diablos Lose In Extras Despite 14 Hits - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Results - AA
- Bullpen Dominant, Provencher Clutch as 'Dogs Split Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- St. Paul Outslugs Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Local Pitcher Makes Good, Sheldon Homers Twice, Saints Win 6-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Big Eighth Seals Series Opener for T-Bones - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Pheasants and Saints Start Delayed - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Enjoy Food with the Saints During the Upcoming Homestand Or You'Ll be Sleeping with the Fishes - St. Paul Saints
- First Home Stand Brings Thousands to Uni-Trade Stadium - Laredo Lemurs
- Lemurs Take Loss in Final Game of Home Stand - Laredo Lemurs
- Fish Avoid Sweep by Thumping Laredo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.