St. Paul Outslugs PheasantsMay 24, 2012 - American Association (AA) Sioux Falls Canaries
Sioux Falls starter Mitchell Clegg pitched into the sixth inning, but stumbled in a three-run third inning. St. Paul's designated hitter Ole Sheldon hit a towering two-run home run to center field, and Ronnie Bourquin doubled home a run. Sheldon finished 2-for-4 with two home runs and four RBI. He homered three times in the series. Clegg gave up four runs on eight hits, while striking out three in his second start of the year.
The Sioux Falls bats displayed their power, belting three home runs in the game, all solo. Trevor Lawhorn added one along with Kaplan's pair, his first of the year.
Stranded runners plagued the Pheasants, who loaded the bases twice with no outs and yielded only run. After an infield fly in the third, Cesar Nicolas hit a sacrifice fly that resulted in a double play when Kaplan strayed too far off second base.
"We swung the bats well, but we didn't get the hits we needed," said Pheasants first baseman Jared Bolden.
Kaplan's leadoff home run in the fifth inning tied the game 4-4. The Pheasants then loaded the bases with nobody out, but Flandreau, S.D., native and Augustana alumnus Bret Severtson (1-0) entered in relief for St. Paul and pitched out of the jam. Severtson earned the win with three innings pitched in relief of starter Alberto Rolon.
Rod Scurry (1-1) relieved Clegg in the seventh and allowed a decisive, two-run home run to Sheldon, his second of the game.
Dan Sattler pitched a perfect ninth for his second save of the season.
The Pheasants travel to Fargo-Moorhead to face the RedHawks starting at 7:05 p.m. on Friday, May 25. The game will be broadcast on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 1230-AM KWSN.
American Association Stories from May 24, 2012
- Fish Win in Extras to Open Series against Diablos - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Diablos Lose In Extras Despite 14 Hits - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Results - AA
- Bullpen Dominant, Provencher Clutch as 'Dogs Split Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- St. Paul Outslugs Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Local Pitcher Makes Good, Sheldon Homers Twice, Saints Win 6-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Big Eighth Seals Series Opener for T-Bones - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Pheasants and Saints Start Delayed - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Enjoy Food with the Saints During the Upcoming Homestand Or You'Ll be Sleeping with the Fishes - St. Paul Saints
- First Home Stand Brings Thousands to Uni-Trade Stadium - Laredo Lemurs
- Lemurs Take Loss in Final Game of Home Stand - Laredo Lemurs
- Fish Avoid Sweep by Thumping Laredo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.