Cougars Nip Bees in SlugfestMay 24, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Kane County Cougars
Espy bounced a 1-2 pitch down the third base line, passed a diving B.A. Vollmuth as Lane Adams, Michael Antonio and Orlando Calixte all crossed the plate, turning a 12-10 deficit into a one-run win. Adams reached to start the ninth on a passed ball after swinging through strike three against Jeff Urlaub (2-2). Antonio singled while Calixte reached on an Urlaub error to fill the bases.
Antonio put the Cougars (25-22) initially as he clubbed a three-run blast in the bottom of the first against A.J. Cole. Cole surrendered 12 hits in his five innings of work. Burlington (20-26) grabbed their first advantage in the third as they scored five off Kellen Moen, who allowed eight runs (five earned) in 5.2 innings. Both teams continued to trade the lead as there were four lead changes and five ties in the contest.
Calixte broke a 6-6 tie in the bottom of the fifth with his sixth homer of the season. Burlington came back to take an 11-10 lead against Matt Ridings (3-1) in the eighth as Vollmuth evened the score at 10-10 with an RBI double while a Douglas Landaeta sac fly put the Bees on top. Both teams combined for 25 runs, 32 hits and seven errors in the ballgame.
The Cougars are at Fifth Third Bank Ballpark on Friday night when they battle the Bees in the finale of a three-game series at 6:30 p.m. For tickets, please call (630) 232-8811 or visit www.kccougars.com. Right-hander Brooks Pounders (2-1) starts for the Cougars against fellow righty Seth Frankoff (0-2). You can listen to the broadcast on AM 1280 WBIG and www.kccougars.com, beginning with Cougars on Deck at 6:15 p.m.
6:15 PM (CT) Pre-Game Show, 6:30 First Pitch on WBIG 1280-AM & kccougars.com.
Midwest League Stories from May 24, 2012
- Bees Blow It Again; Fall to Cougars 13-12 - Burlington Bees
- River Bandits' Bullpen Falters in 9-6 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hawks Drop Second Straight Versus TinCaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin beats Bandits to claim sixth straight win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Outpaced by Hot Rods, 12-3 - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Nip Bees in Slugfest - Kane County Cougars
- Lugs draw 12 walks, drop Dragons 5-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Score Season-High 14 in Rout of Silver Hawks - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Offense Explodes to Even Series in Great Lakes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lansing Continues Hold over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Score in Bunches, Win 10-4 - Lake County Captains
- Dragons, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Team up for "Home Run for Life" - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Fall to Beloit, 9-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Go Back to the '60's for Tomorrow's Game - Kane County Cougars
- Homers Propel Snappers to 9-2 Win - Beloit Snappers
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Merchandise Stays Hot - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for May 24 - Dayton Dragons
- Carter to DL, Jones Added - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Lose to Cougars, 4-3 - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.