Murton's Walk-Off Hit Ends Trenton's Comeback Win vs. AkronMay 24, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Trenton Thunder
With the score tied at 3 entering the bottom of the ninth, Johnson clubbed a Toru Murata (0-1) pitch past the twisting right-fielder Ben Copeland to put the winning run in scoring position. Johnson was then replaced by pinch-runner Jose Pirela and Akron elected to intentionally walk Zoilo Almonte.
With two on and none out, the Aeros brought in right-hander Bryan Price to pitch to Murton, who squared to sacrifice before the first pitch was thrown. Murton, however, never bunted at a pitch, taking two balls from Price to get ahead in the count 2-and-0. He then lined the game-winning hit to center scoring Pirela from second base.
The hit made a winner out of Ryan Flannery (1-1) who pitched 1.1 scoreless innings as part of a standout effort by the Trenton bullpen. Flannery, Kelvin Perez and Lee Hyde combined for 4.1 scoreless relief innings after starter Adam Miller left the game with Akron head 3-0.
Aeros starter Giovanni Soto kept the Trenton bats quiet through five innings, but Addison Maruszak led off the sixth with his first home run of the season. Then after David Adams singled with two outs, Johnson lined his second home run in as many nights, a two-run shot to right that made the score 3-3. It is the fourth time this season the lefty has homered in consecutive games, and the tenth time this the Thunder have hit multiple long balls in an inning.
The Thunder next head to Richmond for a four-game Memorial Day weekend series against the Flying Squirrels. Game one Friday night will have a 6:35 pm first pitch with lefty Shaeffer Hall (4-4) slated to pitch for the Thunder against righty Craig Westcott (3-4). Radio coverage on 91.3 FM (WTSR) and also streaming online begins at 6:20 pm.
Eastern League Stories from May 24, 2012
- Machado Walk-Off Single Seals Win - Bowie Baysox
- Pino, Bocock Lead the Way in 8-2 Win over Portland - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Murton's Walk-Off Hit Ends Trenton's Comeback Win vs. Akron - Trenton Thunder
- Baysox Split Series with Walk-Off Win, 6-5 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs scratched by the 'Cats 8-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Trenton Walks off with 4-3 Win over Aeros - Akron Aeros
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Return Home for Seven-Game Homestand - Harrisburg Senators
- Zoilo Almonte and Jose Pirela Activated; OF Brewer Back to DL - Trenton Thunder
- 'Wolves Drop Series Finale - Erie SeaWolves
- Rock Cats Top Mets to Take Series - New Britain Rock Cats
- Curve Wrap Nice Homestand with 5-4 Win over 'Sens - Altoona Curve
- Romero's Drive Sours Series Finale, 6-4 - Binghamton Mets
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Bowie - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rock Cats-Fisher Cats will play double-header July 16th at 5:35PM - New Britain Rock Cats
- Vinny Cerrato Heading for a Dunk Tank - Bowie Baysox
- Former Redskins and Colts Faceoff...In Softball - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.