Hultzen Strikes out 12, Generals Fall in ExtrasMay 24, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Jackson Generals
The 12-strikeout performance by Hultzen was the second-highest against Montgomery. In 2005, Rich Hill fanned 14 Biscuits when Jackson was affiliated with the Chicago Cubs.
Offensively the Generals had opportunities stranding 14 runners on base and finished 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position. The Generals lead the North Division by two games over Huntsville.
Hultzen scattered five hits and allowed just one run over his six innings and turned it over to the bullpen. Bobby LaFromboise and Mauricio Robles added two scoreless behind Hultzen.
Yoervis Medina (1-4) surrendered the homer to Sheridan in the 12th and suffered the loss. Zach Quate (1-0) in his first outing of the season picked up the win for Montgomery with two scoreless frames. Montgomery starter Joe Cruz struck out eight Generals and tossed six scoreless innings.
The Biscuits struck first on a Ryan Garko RBI double to left-center against Hultzen in the fourth inning. Montgomery took a 1-0 lead.
With each starter out of the game, Jackson plated a run against Biscuit's reliever Marquis Fleming. Jesus Sucre singled in a run in the seventh and tied the game at 1-1.
Sheridan smacked the second pitch seen from Medina over the right field wall for the game winner and Montgomery walked off with a 2-1 win.
The Generals continue their five-game series against the Biscuits on Thursday night, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. CT. LHP Steve Garrison (2-1, 2.25) will take the mound for Jackson against RHP Matt Buschmann (1-2, 5.45) for Montgomery. The game can be heard on NewsTalk 101.5 FM, jacksongeneralsbaseball.com and the all-new Generals TuneIn Radio Station.
Tickets for Generals home games can be purchased at the Generals Box Office at Pringles Park, online at www.jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or by calling 731.988.5299.
Be sure to check out the Generals on Facebook at facebook.com/jacksongenerals, and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/jacksongenerals. Also, download the Generals' iPhone or Android app for free to keep the Generals at your fingertips at all times.
Southern League Stories from May 24, 2012
- BayBears Edge Smokies for Third Straight - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Drop 3-2 Decision at Mobile - Tennessee Smokies
- Lead Slips Away, Streak Snapped - Montgomery Biscuits
- Sellout Crowd Watches Wahoos Win 4-2 on Thirsty Thursday - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Late Charge Gives Jackson 5-4 Win over Biscuits - Jackson Generals
- Stars Squeak Out Third Straight Victory - Huntsville Stars
- Lookouts Handle Suns 4-1 - Jacksonville Suns
- Magill Pitches Gem in 4-1 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Stars Announce Summer Baseball Camp Dates - Huntsville Stars
- Dunigan Returns from DL, Vanderbilt Alum Giobbi Added - Jackson Generals
- Wahoos Launch "Saved by the Bell" Campaign to Support Marine Memorial - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Memorial Day Celebration at Trustmark Park - Mississippi Braves
- Rickwood Classic Highlights Five-Game Homestand against Lookouts - Birmingham Barons
- Suns Bombard the BayBears Starting Memorial Day - Jacksonville Suns
- BayBears Take Second Straight over Smokies - Mobile BayBears
- Hultzen Strikes out 12, Generals Fall in Extras - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.