Castro Hits Bomb But JetHawks Fall into SecondMay 22, 2012 - California League (CalL) Lancaster JetHawks
With the win, High Desert broke a first place tie and moved a game ahead of Lancaster in the South Division.
Mavericks starter Jimmy Gillheeney (4-1), who had a 0.87 ERA over two previous starts against the JetHawks, picked up the win. The left-hander allowed two runs on four hits in six innings of work.
The JetHawks jumped on him in the first. George Springer hit a one out double to right field on a 3-0 pitch to extend his hitting streak to 12 games. Domingo Santana followed with a two-out hit to score him and tie the game at 1-1.
From there, Gillheeney and JetHawks starter Bobby Doran battled in a pitcher's duel until Julio Morban hit a solo home run in the sixth off Doran to put the Mavs back on top.
Doran came back out for the seventh and ran into trouble after retiring the leadoff batter. Doran allowed a double, walk and single before being pulled from the game with a pitch count over 100. Andrew Robinson came in and proceeded to allow four consecutive hits.
High Desert scored five runs in the inning. Three were charged to Doran (4-3) who took the loss after giving up a total of five runs - four earned - with seven strikeouts. James Jones hit a two-RBI double in the inning.
The Mavericks would add another run in the top of the ninth on a Stefen Romero RBI-single against reliever Patrick Urckfitz.
Austin Hudson threw three scoreless innings in relief of Gillheeney to pick up his second save.
The JetHawks (23-22) have been outscored 19-6 in the first two games of the series. They will try to avoid the sweep on Tuesday morning when they take on the Mavericks (24-21) at 11:00 am at The Hangar. California League Pitcher of the Week Tyson Perez (3-0, 1.35) will start against Cameron Hobson (0-1, 11.57).
Tuesday is Education Day and a Business Men's special at The Hangar. Fans will receive a free ticket if they present their business card at the ballpark.
Great JetHawks ticket packages and single game tickets are on sale now. Special group discounts are also available. For more information please visit www.jethawks.com or call the JetHawks box office at (661) 726-5400.
California League Stories from May 22, 2012
- Rancho Blanked on Tuesday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Giants Unable to Complete Sweep of Stockton - San Jose Giants
- JetHawks Hit Back-To-Back-To-Back Homers in Loss - Lancaster JetHawks
- San Jose Giants Announce 2012 Summer Clinic at Municipal Stadium - San Jose Giants
- Storm to Hold Memorial Day Weekend Festivities May 25th - 28th - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Back-To-Back Homers Power Giants Past Ports - San Jose Giants
- Castro Hits Bomb But JetHawks Fall into Second - Lancaster JetHawks
- Offense Struggles in 6-2 Loss on Monday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Cron Continues Magnificent May, 66ers Win 6-2 - Inland Empire 66ers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.