Offense Struggles in 6-2 Loss on MondayMay 22, 2012 - California League (CalL) Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
Former Quake Manaurys Correa (3-2) was strong over 7 1/3 innings, allowing two runs on five hits to earn the win.
Quakes' starter Brandon Martinez got off to a slow start, but battled through five innings on Monday night. Martinez got touched for a two-run homer in the first by C.J. Cron, as the Sixers took a 2-0 lead. Martinez left two men stranded in the first though and settled down the rest of the way.
The Quakes got even in the fourth, as the first four hitters all singled. C.J. Retherford singled home Scott Wingo to make it 2-1. With the bases loaded, Jarrad Page picked up his first RBI of the year, tying the game with a sacrifice fly to center field.
With the game tied at 2-2 in the bottom of the fifth, Cron struck again, driving in Travis Witherspoon to put Inland Empire up for good at 3-2.
Steve Smith followed Martinez (0-1) out of the bullpen and had a tough night, surrendering three runs in the sixth, in just one-third of an inning, as the 66ers took a commanding 6-2 lead.
Rancho's bats never got on track, as they recorded just one hit and two total base-runners over the final five innings.
The Quakes (21-24) will add lefty Chris Reed (1-3) to the active roster on Tuesday, then send him to the hill in the rubber game of the three-game set. Inland Empire will counter with Lay Batista (1-4), with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm.
On Sunday, May 27th, the Quakes return to The Epicenter, hosting Modesto and Lake Elsinore in a six-game home stand. Tickets are available by calling 909-481-5000 or online at rcquakes.com. Go Quakes!
California League Stories from May 22, 2012
- Rancho Blanked on Tuesday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Giants Unable to Complete Sweep of Stockton - San Jose Giants
- JetHawks Hit Back-To-Back-To-Back Homers in Loss - Lancaster JetHawks
- San Jose Giants Announce 2012 Summer Clinic at Municipal Stadium - San Jose Giants
- Storm to Hold Memorial Day Weekend Festivities May 25th - 28th - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Back-To-Back Homers Power Giants Past Ports - San Jose Giants
- Castro Hits Bomb But JetHawks Fall into Second - Lancaster JetHawks
- Offense Struggles in 6-2 Loss on Monday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Cron Continues Magnificent May, 66ers Win 6-2 - Inland Empire 66ers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.