Gwinnett Sweeps International League Players of the WeekMay 21, 2012 - International League (IL)
ERNESTO MEJIA, Gwinnett Braves IL BATTER OF THE WEEK
G-Braves first baseman Ernesto Mejia hit safely in all seven games this week and produced multiple hits on five separate occasions. His season-high three-hit effort on Wednesday helped him reach a total of 13 hits for the week, best in the International League. He also led the IL with a .464 batting average for the week, and was near the top of the League in slugging percentage (3rd), RBI (T-4th), and on-base percentage (7th). For the season, Mejia leads his Gwinnett team with a .306 batting average, 12 doubles, and 31 RBI.
26-year-old Ernesto Mejia has played his entire career in the Braves organization dating back to 2003. He had not played above the Double-A level prior to this season. Mejia is a native of Guanare, Venezuela.
TODD REDMOND, Gwinnett Braves IL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
For the fourth time since 2010, Gwinnett right-hander Todd Redmond has been named International League Pitcher of the Week, joining a class of ten other pitchers to have done so that includes Dave Eiland, Nelson Figueroa, Justin Lehr, Doug Linton (5x), John Mitchell, Scott Nielsen, Nerio Rodriguez, Steve Searcy, Josh Towers (5x), and Mickey Weston.
Redmond won twice this week for Gwinnett, surrendering just one run in 13.0 innings of work. Tuesday in Buffalo, the veteran scattered seven hits and a walk across 6.0 scoreless frames in a 6-1 victory over the Bisons. Yesterday at Rochester, one 1st inning run was all the Red Wings mustered off of Redmond, and the G-Braves won a close 2-1 affair. Seven more strikeouts this week pushed his season's total to 51, good enough for 3rd in the International League. He is also now 5th in the League with 51.1 innings pitched.
Todd Redmond, who turned 27 this past Thursday, is in his fourth season pitching for Gwinnett. From 2009 to 2011, he posted a record of 63-50. Redmond is a native of St. Petersburg, Florida.
International League Stories from May 21, 2012
- Mercer's Ninth-Inning Single Beats Buffalo 8-6 - Indianapolis Indians
- Rochester Pounds G-Braves, 10-1 - Gwinnett Braves
- Mathis Flirts with Perfection - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Matsui Wins It for Bulls in Extras - Durham Bulls
- Yankees Jump Out Early with Six Run Second, Hang on for 9-6 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Post-Game Notes-Red Wings 10, Gwinnett 1 - Rochester Red Wings
- Tides Whitewashed by Pawtucket - Norfolk Tides
- Sutton Sent Packing to Pittsburgh - Gwinnett Braves
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Monday, May 21 vs. Gwinnett (Braves) - Rochester Red Wings
- Racing Presidents to Spend Memorial Day Weekend in Chiefsville - Syracuse Chiefs
- Mets Recall Bisons Rottino, Option Schwinden to Buffalo - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Notes - Indianapolis at Buffalo - Buffalo Bisons
- Brown, Roark Lead Chiefs Past Mud Hens - Syracuse Chiefs
- Baseball Month in Rochester - May 21 - Rochester Red Wings
- Redmond, Mejia Sweep International League Weekly Awards - Gwinnett Braves
- Gwinnett Sweeps International League Players of the Week - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.