Diablos Notch First Win Of YearMay 18, 2012 - American Association (AA) El Paso Diablos
At first it looked as though another solid pitching performance would go to waste, as the visiting RedHawks jumped out to a 2-1 lead courtesy of two solo home runs off the bat of right fielder Jon Gaston. Luckily for Rodriguez (1-0), the Diablos mounted a three run rally in the sixth to give him a win in his El Paso debut.
As they had done on Opening Day, the Diablos scored the first run of the game, this time on a throwing error by catcher Todd Jennings that allowed a stealing Maikol Gonzalez to score from second base. The very next frame, however, Gaston hit the first of his two home runs to tie the score.
Patrick Arlis, J.J. Muse and Brian Joynt each had RBI hits in the sixth, chasing RedHawks starter Aaron Shafer (0-1), who went five and a third innings with four earned runs allowed and six strikeouts.
For the second straight game, the Diablos bullpen held the fort, this time in a winning cause. Reyes Dorado made his second straight scoreless appearance, and Marcel Dorado threw up a zero in the eighth to send El Paso to the ninth with the lead.
Closer Geivy Garcia, also making his Diablos debut, allowed two runners in the top of the ninth but retired Aharon Eggleston on a fly ball to center field to earn the save, end the game and give the Diablos their first win of the season.
The Diablos will try and take the series lead behind Scott Hodsdon tomorrow at Cohen Stadium. First pitch between Hodsdon and RedHawks probable starter Jake Laber will be at 7 p.m.
American Association Stories from May 18, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Goldeyes Erase Seven-Run Deficit in Win over Sox - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Ka'Aihue Leads T-Bones to First Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Diablos Notch First Win Of Year - El Paso Diablos
- Hinson, Wingnuts Take Down Lincoln - Wichita Wingnuts
- Pheasants' rally falls short in ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Come from Behind for Dramatic 3-2 Walk off Win - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Fall on Walk-Off Single - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Fish Add Pitcher to the Bullpen - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Round out Roster with Pitcher Josh Cephas - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Sign RHP Kyle Wilson - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Fans Can Vote for Best Relievers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fans Choose Ford, Moore as Top Starters - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Hits Elude AirHogs in Season Opener - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- T-Bones Drop Season Opener to New Jersey - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.