Rally comes up short as Kernels fall to Kane County, 5-4May 18, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
Down 5-2 heading into the bottom of the 9th, the Kernels (18-23) scored a one-out run when Abel Baker - on-base after a double - was singled home by Chevy Clarke. After another out, Clarke was on second base after a steal, and scored when Kevin Moesquit singled to cut the Kane County (23-19) lead to just 1 run. Moesquit moved up when Ryan Jones hit his second single of the night, and both advanced after Kaleb Cowart walked. With the bases loaded, Frazier Hall drove a 1-2 pitch deep to centerfield, but the speedy Lane Adams tracked it down to finish the game.
The Kernels first hitter of the game produced the first Cedar Rapids run of the game. Moesquit walked before he stole second base, and then moved to third on a Ryan Jones single. Cowart grounded into a double play on the right side of the infield, allowing Moesquit to score from third base.
Otherwise the home team couldn't figure out Cougar's starter Edwin Carl, who allowed just 1 run through 7 innings, striking out 4 Kernels in the process. Carl earned the win to push his record to 4-2.
Moesquit also scored in the eighth inning on Kane County reliever Mike Giovenco. After another Cowart double play - this one unable to score Moesquit - Frazier Hall hit a two-out double off the centerfield wall for the first Kernels RBI of the game.
Cedar Rapids starter Cam Bedrosian's (0-2) fourth start of the season was one of his best, despite taking the loss. The right-handed pitcher native pitched 5 full innings and allowed 2 earned runs, striking out 1.
The Kernels now begin a home series with the Peoria Chiefs, the Midwest League affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. The series begins Saturday evening at 6:35 p.m. at Perfect Game Field. A spectacular fireworks display will follow the game. It's Star Wars Night! Come dressed as your favorite Star Wars character. Members of the 501st Central Garrison will be on site to entertain fans and pose for pictures. The Kernels will wear special Star Wars jerseys that will be sold during the game via a silent auction. Proceeds from the auction will benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Iowa. The game will be televised live on KCRG 9.2. The Cedar Rapids Solid Waste Agency will pass out free litter collection kits as people enter the gates. Gates open at 5:30 p.m.
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2012
- LumberKings Win First Series Since Late April - Clinton LumberKings
- Sale Homers Again But Hot Rods Can't Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers Fall in Extra Innings - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits Get Extra-Inning Heroics to Stop Snappers - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Rally comes up short as Kernels fall to Kane County, 5-4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bullpen Shines in Loss to Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lugs rip TinCaps in rubber match, 9-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Gomez goes deep to lead Rattlers past Bees - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Beat Kernels to Win Series - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-2 Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Battle Back to Win, 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Series Ends with 9-3 Loss for TinCaps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hankins' Triple Downs the Hawks - Lake County Captains
- Captains Home for Weekend Series - Lake County Captains
- Schedule Update - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Win Heated Game Three - Great Lakes Loons
- Hometown Heroes Celebration Night at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Entry Deadline Extended for Grand Rapids Gus Macker Tournament - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees End Five-Game Skid, 8-3 over Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Await Award Announcement Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Hawks RHP Shields Earns Promotion - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Gameday for May 18 - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Begin Three-Game Home Stand Saturday - Lake County Captains
- Red Wings Legends Series Approaching - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.