Lugs rip TinCaps in rubber match, 9-3May 18, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
The Lugnuts win the series against Fort Wayne and have won all six three-game series they have played at Cooley Law School Stadium.
The Lugnuts scored four unearned runs in the second; half of the Lugs' four runs in the eighth were also unearned.
A pair of two-out, two-RBI singles in the third inning gave the Lugnuts the lead for good. Kevin Patterson smacked the first one as part of a 2-for-3 day that included a pair of runs scored.
Chris Schaeffer walked and scored a run in addition to the third inning, two-RBI single off of Frank Garces (Loss, 1-3) who threw 2 2/3 innings and allowed five runs on four hits. He also walked four, one of which forced in the only earned run that Garces surrendered.
Andy Burns scored three runs and reached base in four of his five plate appearances.
All nine starters for Lansing reached and six of the nine scored at least one run.
David Rollins started for Lansing and turned in his shortest outing of the year. The lefty worked three plus innings, faced three hitters in the fourth and did not record an out after giving up three runs on four hits, two walks and two strikeouts
The star on the mound for Lansing was Eric Brown (Win, 1-0), who entered in that fourth inning with two runners on base and promptly misplayed a bunt to load the bases with no outs. But Brown responded to strike out two and induce a groundout to end the threat, part of a three-inning, one-hit performance where he struck out five without issuing a walk.
Javier Avendano also threw a pair of scoreless innings before Aleson Escalante capped six scoreless inning thrown by the Lansing bullpen with a scoreless ninth inning.
The Lansing Lugnuts begin a three-game road trip against with their first visit to Lake County to take on the Captains. Righty Marcus Walden (3-1, 2.15) starts for Lansing opposite right-hander Joe Colon (4-3, 3.30) who will throw for Lake County.
The Lugnuts will return home Wednesday, May 23rd, against the Dayton Dragons to begin a seven-game homestand with a Ladies Night. Tickets are available online at the team website at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2012
- LumberKings Win First Series Since Late April - Clinton LumberKings
- Sale Homers Again But Hot Rods Can't Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers Fall in Extra Innings - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits Get Extra-Inning Heroics to Stop Snappers - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Rally comes up short as Kernels fall to Kane County, 5-4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bullpen Shines in Loss to Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lugs rip TinCaps in rubber match, 9-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Gomez goes deep to lead Rattlers past Bees - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Beat Kernels to Win Series - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-2 Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Battle Back to Win, 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Series Ends with 9-3 Loss for TinCaps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hankins' Triple Downs the Hawks - Lake County Captains
- Captains Home for Weekend Series - Lake County Captains
- Schedule Update - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Win Heated Game Three - Great Lakes Loons
- Hometown Heroes Celebration Night at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Entry Deadline Extended for Grand Rapids Gus Macker Tournament - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees End Five-Game Skid, 8-3 over Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Await Award Announcement Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Hawks RHP Shields Earns Promotion - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Gameday for May 18 - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Begin Three-Game Home Stand Saturday - Lake County Captains
- Red Wings Legends Series Approaching - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.