Big Hits Elude AirHogs in Season OpenerMay 18, 2012 - American Association (AA) Grand Prairie AirHogs
Grand Prairie (0-1) actually got on the board first, with a long solo home run by Trent Lockwood to right-center in the second inning. But that was all the AirHogs would get against Lemurs starter Todd Privett (1-0) and a trio of relievers.
John Brownell (0-1) held Laredo (1-0) off the scoreboard in the first two innings, but ran into immediate trouble in the third. Ninth-place hitter Jeff Vincent lined a double to left to start the inning, before a bunt single by Jimmy Mojica put runners on the corners with no outs. Anthony Scelfo then punched a single to right to tie the game and Yunesky Sanchez followed with another hit to right to make it 2-1.
Brownell got out of further trouble that inning and worked two more scoreless frames before leaving after five, allowing the two runs on six hits, with three walks and five strikeouts.
The AirHogs' put two on with two outs in the fourth but David Thomas struck out to end the inning, but Grand Prairie's best chance to level the score came in the fifth. Chris McMurray walked to start the inning and moved to second on a groundout by Yasutsugu Nishimoto. Keanon Simon then lined a single to center and advanced to third when Vincent's throw home sailed over the cutoff man.
But with runners at second and third and one out, Bridger Hunt grounded into a fielder's choice and Brian Myrow bounced to second to end the threat. Two more walks in each of the sixth and seventh innings went for naught against Laredo relievers, and McMurray struck out to end the eighth against Chaz Roe with two more AirHogs on.
Meanwhile, the Lemurs put the game away with a two-out rally in the seventh, getting two straight walks of Ronnie Morales before Sanchez and John Allen had first-pitch RBI hits off Griffin Bailey to provide the final three insurance runs for Laredo.
American Association Stories from May 18, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Goldeyes Erase Seven-Run Deficit in Win over Sox - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Ka'Aihue Leads T-Bones to First Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Diablos Notch First Win Of Year - El Paso Diablos
- Hinson, Wingnuts Take Down Lincoln - Wichita Wingnuts
- Pheasants' rally falls short in ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Come from Behind for Dramatic 3-2 Walk off Win - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Fall on Walk-Off Single - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Fish Add Pitcher to the Bullpen - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Round out Roster with Pitcher Josh Cephas - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Sign RHP Kyle Wilson - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Fans Can Vote for Best Relievers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fans Choose Ford, Moore as Top Starters - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Hits Elude AirHogs in Season Opener - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- T-Bones Drop Season Opener to New Jersey - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.