T-Bones Drop Season Opener to New JerseyMay 18, 2012 - American Association (AA) Kansas City T-Bones
Former Major League Rookie of the Year and Kansas City Royals infielder Angel Berroa led the Jackals (1-0) with a perfect night at the plate. Berroa, the 2003 ROY, reached base all five times with a home run, a double, two singles and was hit by a pitch. Berroa scored three runs and drove in four.
"It's good to be back in Kansas City," Berroa said with a smile after the game.
New Jersey got off to a quick start with two runs in the first inning off of Kansas City starter Josh Rainwater. The Jackals added four runs in the second, three in the third and four in the fourth. Rainwater (0-1) gave up 10 runs - all earned - and 11 hits.
Kansas City, KS, native Beau Stoker, playing in his first professional game, gave the T-Bones (0-1) their first run of the game with a solo home run in the third inning. Stoker, who also doubled and singled, scored three of the T-Bones' seven runs.
The T-Bones' record for the largest opening day crowd is 7,208 people. That was two years ago, May 28, 2010, against Fargo-Moorhead.
The T-Bones and Jackals continue their four-game series on Friday night at CommunityAmerica Ballpark, with first pitch set for 7:05. Nick Singleton (0-0) is scheduled to pitch for the T-Bones against Matt Chico (0-0) for the Jackals. Tickets are available by calling the T-Bones box office at 913-328-5618.
American Association Stories from May 18, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Goldeyes Erase Seven-Run Deficit in Win over Sox - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Ka'Aihue Leads T-Bones to First Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Diablos Notch First Win Of Year - El Paso Diablos
- Hinson, Wingnuts Take Down Lincoln - Wichita Wingnuts
- Pheasants' rally falls short in ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Come from Behind for Dramatic 3-2 Walk off Win - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Fall on Walk-Off Single - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Fish Add Pitcher to the Bullpen - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Round out Roster with Pitcher Josh Cephas - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Sign RHP Kyle Wilson - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Fans Can Vote for Best Relievers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fans Choose Ford, Moore as Top Starters - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Hits Elude AirHogs in Season Opener - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- T-Bones Drop Season Opener to New Jersey - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.