Norfolk Splits Doubleheader with CharlotteMay 17, 2012 - International League (IL) Norfolk Tides
In the nightcap, Eddie Gamboa (1-0) was impressive in his Triple-A debut, as he allowed two hits over five shutout innings. Gamboa walked one and struck out three as he became the second Tide to earn a win in his Triple-A debut this week. Rick Zagone also accomplished the feat, as he also earned a win on Sunday afternoon at Indianapolis.
Joe Mahoney had a big game for the Tides, as he singled in the third and belted a bases-clearing double in the fourth. The Tides worked six walks off of Knights pitching, with five of those runners coming around to score.
Ronny Paulino added two singles and an RBI, and he's now hitting .290 in eight games with the Tides this season.
In game one, Charlotte starter Terry Doyle (2-3) went the distance as he allowed two runs on five hits. Doyle surrendered two runs on a second inning double by Paulino, but he faced the minimum over the final five frames to earn his second win of the season.
Norfolk led the contest 2-1 in the fifth inning, but back-to-back RBI singles by Justin Greene and Jim Gallagher provided Doyle with all the run support he would need.
Jason Berken (0-1) suffered the loss, as he allowed three runs on seven hits in five innings of work. Berken struggled with his control as he issued a season-high five walks, two of which came around to score.
Stu Pomeranz tossed two shutout innings in relief in his first appearance for Norfolk since being optioned from Baltimore. Pomeranz, who struck out two in the contest, has now tossed 25.1 shutout innings with 37 strikeouts between Bowie, Norfolk and Baltimore this season.
The two clubs will wrap up their four-game series Friday night at Harbor Park, with first pitch slated for 7:15. Miguel Gonzalez (1-0, 0.84) will take the hill for Norfolk against right-hander Dylan Axelrod (2-1, 0.87). The Zooperstars will be on hand to entertain fans throughout the game.
International League Stories from May 17, 2012
- Sellout Crowd Watches Matsui and Bulls Down Matsuzaka, PawSox - Durham Bulls
- Buffalo Tops G-Braves, 4-2 - Gwinnett Braves
- Norfolk Splits Doubleheader with Charlotte - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls Blank Pawtucket 5-0 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Rochester Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Louisville 4, Rochester 2 - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs Earn Third Straight Shutout over Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Ramon Ortiz Blanks Mud Hens over 7.0 Innings in 4-1 SWB Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- 5-Run Second Leads Chiefs Past Clippers - Syracuse Chiefs
- Tonight's Bulls Game to be Broadcast in Japan - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Notes - Gwinnett at Buffalo - Buffalo Bisons
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Thursday, May 17 vs. Louisville - Rochester Red Wings
- Online Fan Voting for 2012 Triple-A All-Star Game to Begin May 25 - Buffalo Bisons
- Jersey Auctions to Feature Revolutionary Bidding System - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Braves Legend John Smoltz to Appear at Coolray Field on May 25 - Gwinnett Braves
- Red Wings Mascot Spikes to Rappel Down First Federal Plaza - Rochester Red Wings
- Baseball Month in Rochester - May 17 - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.