Cougars Fall in Extras to KernelsMay 17, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Kane County Cougars
Nick Graffeo (0-1) was unable to protect a 5-4 lead for the Cougars (22-19) as Chevy Clarke punched out a solo home run to left-center, evening the score at 5-5 in the bottom of the ninth. In the 10th, Ryan Jones started the frame with a single and scored on a two-run shot from Andy Workman to give Cedar Rapids (18-22) a 7-5 win.
Kane County led at three different points in contest but let each advantage slip away. Scott Alexander was staked to a 3-0 lead in the second when Michael Antonio and Murray Watts clubbed home runs. Alexander allowed a three-run jack to Trevor Hairgrove in the bottom of the third to make it 3-3. Alexander lasted just three innings before leaving with an apparent leg injury.Jason Mitchell worked four frames out of the bullpen while allowing just one hit and one unearned run. An error by Antonio allowed the Kernels to tie the game at 4-4 in the eighth. Jorge Bonifacio tripled and scored on a wild pitch against starter Jairo Diaz in the sixth to break the 3-3 tie. Lane Adams's RBI fielder's choice to knock in Tim Ferguson in the top of the eighth snapped the 4-4 lock.
The Cougars stay on the road Friday night when they battle the Kernels from Veterans Memorial Stadium at 6:30. Right-hander Edwin Carl (3-2) starts for the Cougars against fellow righty Cam Bedrosian (0-2). You can listen to the broadcast on AM 1280 WBIG and www.kccougars.com, beginning with Cougars on Deck at 6:20 p.m. The Cougars return to Fifth Third Bank Ballpark on Wednesday, May 23, when they play the Burlington Bees in the start of a three-game series at 6:00 p.m. For tickets, please call (630) 232-8811 or visit www.kccougars.com.
6:20 PM (CT) Pre-Game Show, 6:35 AM First Pitch on WBIG 1280-AM & kccougars.com
Midwest League Stories from May 17, 2012
- Loons Washed over by Whitecaps, 6-3 - Great Lakes Loons
- Missed Opportunities Doom Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- Workman's walk-off wins it for Kernels, 7-5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sale's Homer Too Much for Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Winning Streak Ends in 5-1 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Sale, Strong Relief Send Hot Rods to Fourth Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees sting Rattlers with 7 two-out runs in 8-3 win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Francescon Deals Chiefs to Another Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Fall in Extras to Kernels - Kane County Cougars
- DeSclafani, Syndergaard shine in 5-1 Lugs win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Activate Jacob Johnson for Tonight's Game - Dayton Dragons
- River Bandits Drop Fourth Straight in 7-3 Loss at Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Koch Does It Again: Snappers Win 7-3 - Beloit Snappers
- Hal McCoy to Appear on Dragons TV Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green, Hawks Outduel Captains to Even Series - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Captains Drop Pitcher's Duel 2-1 - Lake County Captains
- Bees Still Looking for Weiner Dog Race Participants - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Gameday for May 17 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.