Ice's Doherty Heading to Miami UniversityMay 17, 2012 - United States Hockey League (USHL) Indiana Ice
Doherty was acquired in a mid-season trade with the Dubuque Fighting Saints and recorded ten points (3G, 7A) in 41 games with the Ice. The versatile forward also added two points (G, A) in six playoff games.
"He's a very hard-working player and a honest two-way forward with great leadership qualities," said assistant coach Ron Gay. "We expect great things out of him at Miami."
Doherty will be in familiar company as he will be the 12th all-time Iceman to play for the RedHawks and the 12-13 stable will include Ice alumni Blake Coleman (09-11), Max Cook (08-10), Bryon Paulazzo (09-10), Garrett Kennedy (08-09), Joe Hartman (08-09), Alex Wideman (09-11) and incoming forwards Sean Kuraly and Alex Gacek.
Miami will be playing in their final year in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) this fall before joining the new National Collegiate Hockey Conference beginning in 2013. The RedHawks have made the NCAA tournament in seven of their last ten years and were the 2009 NCAA runner-ups.
The Indiana Ice is now taking deposits for 2012-2013 season ticket packages. Call the Ice office at 317-925-4423 or visit www.indianaice.com.
United States Hockey League Stories from May 17, 2012
- Gamblers Hire David Carle as Assistant Coach - Green Bay Gamblers
- Cammarata Named Rookie of the Year - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Taylor Cammarata Named USHL Rookie of the Year - USHL
- U.S. Men's National Team Falls to Finland, 3-2, in Quarterfinals of 2012 World Championship - U.S. National Team
- Black Hawks Announce Camp Plans - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Ice's Doherty Heading to Miami University - Indiana Ice
- Phantom Fireworks Owner Zoldan's Horse Building Momentum Toward Preakness Saturday - Youngstown Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.