Streak Snapped: Curve Open Bowie Series with WinMay 15, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Altoona Curve
Alderson, into the rotation for the first time in two years, has reclaimed some of the velocity his fastball had mysteriously lost over the last two seasons and showed it on Tuesday. The big right-hander from Phoenix, Arizona consistently pitched in the low 90s through five frames, allowing just three Bowie runs on six hits in his longest outing of the year. The Baysox struck first on Tuesday, getting a run against Alderson in the bottom of the second before the Curve responded.
Altoona plated three runs in the top of the third, two coming home on Elevys Gonzalez's two-run triple to give the visitors the lead. After the Baysox drew even in the bottom half of the fourth, the Curve ran away with things in the top of the fifth.
Eight men batted for the Curve in the decisive inning with four coming home with two outs. Robbie Grossman batted in his second run of the contest, and Kelson Brown followed with his first. After Tony Sanchez walked to put runners on first and second, Matt Curry crushed a triple to right-center to bring home Sanchez and Brown and give the Curve a 7-3 lead.
Alderson polished off the fifth before handing the ball off to his bullpen. Shairon Martis tossed an inning of perfect relief with a strikeout, and Mike Colla followed with three scoreless frames of his own. Colla allowed four hits but struck out five in picking up his first save in his first appearance since moving to the bullpen.
The Curve can achieve their first series victory in a road set with a win in Wednesday's second game. First pitch between Altoona's Nathan Baker (2-4, 5.35) and Bowie's Cole McCurry (0-6, 6.48) is schedule for 7:05. Airtime on ESPN 1430 in Altoona and the Curve Radio Network is scheduled for 6:35. For tickets to future Curve home games or more information, call 877.99.CURVE, visit AltoonaCurve.com or stop by the box office at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
Eastern League Stories from May 15, 2012
- Rey-Rod and Spring Power 'Dogs to 8-5 Win - Portland Sea Dogs
- Akron's Goedert Homer's Twice in Win - Akron Aeros
- Curve Cruise Past Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Streak Snapped: Curve Open Bowie Series with Win - Altoona Curve
- McFarland Shuts Down Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Eight-Run Eighth Shoots Thunder Past Mets - Trenton Thunder
- Thunder Bats Overpower B-Mets in 10-1 Loss - Binghamton Mets
- Pahuta Triples Sens to 4-2 Win over Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Senators Grab Opener from Squirrels, 4-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rock Cats Rained out Tonight - New Britain Rock Cats
- Three Move up to Norfolk - Bowie Baysox
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron Aeros - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Fisher Cats Rained out Tuesday in New Britain - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats Get Pitching and Power Help with Moves - New Britain Rock Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Pitcher Adam Miller Joins Thunder; INF Ibarra Activated from DL - Trenton Thunder
- Red Sox Top Pitching Prospect Anthony Ranaudo Joins Sea Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Name idegy "Official Promotional Merchandise Partner" - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. Harrisburg - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- SeaWolves Bowling Bash Set for June 21 - Erie SeaWolves
- Radeke Back with Aeros - Akron Aeros
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs Trenton Thunder - Binghamton Mets
- OF Ronnie Welty Placed on DL - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.