Five-Spot in Ninth Sends Omaha Past FresnoMay 15, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Omaha Storm Chasers
Trailing by two entering the ninth and faced with the prospect of trying to come back against one of the league's best closers in Heath Hembree, the Storm Chasers produced the decisive runs with only two hits, including David Lough's leadoff single. Lough stole second and remained there when Anthony Seratelli walked before the two pulled off a double steal. Kevin Kouzmanoff drew a free pass to load the bases for pinch-hitter Terry Evans, who was hit by a pitch to force in Lough to cut the Fresno lead to 5-4. Jason Bourgeois then hit a ground ball to shortstop Nick Noonan, who couldn't field it cleanly as Seratelli crossed the plate to tie the game. Robinson followed with his fly ball to deliver pinch-runner Kurt Mertins to put Omaha back on top for good at 6-5 and chase Hembree from the hill. The only other hit in the inning came when Clint Robinson looped a two-out, two-run single in and out of the glove of Noonan in shallow centerfield. Jeremy Jeffress struck out two in a shutout ninth to earn his first save of the year.
Things got off to a good start for the visitors, as Derrick Robinson doubled with one out in the first, moved to third on a ground out and scored on a two-out single by Clint Robinson, who drove in his first run of the trip. Seratelli led off the fifth with a home run, his fifth of the season, to increase the Chasers lead to 2-0 against Andrew Kown, who entered the game tied for the second-best earned run average in the circuit.
Ryan Verdugo, who carried the sixth best ERA in the league to the hill, kept the hosts blanked on just one hit through the first four frames but ran into trouble in the fifth. Jackson Williams singled in a run before a sacrifice bunt by Justin Christian drove home the tying marker. Noonan capped the three-run frame with a two-out, RBI double that put the Grizzlies in the lead for the first time.
Roman Colon took over for Verdugo with one on and one out in the seventh and allowed singles to both batters he faced, the second by Christian knocking in a run to make it 4-2 and knocking the right-hander from the game. Tommy Hottovy entered and allowed a two-out RBI single to Francisco Peguero that pushed the lead to three but ultimately wound up picking up the win after tossing a scoreless eighth inning.
Kown permitted four hits, walked three and fanned four over seven innings of work and gave way to Dan Otero, who yielded a run-scoring ground out to Clint Robinson that trimmed the deficit to 5-3 in the eighth. Verdugo was not involved in the decision after surrendering four runs on five hits while walking two and striking out one in his first start against his former organization.
The series and road trip concludes Tuesday afternoon with Omaha left-hander Mike Montgomery taking the mound against Fresno right-hander Yusmeiro Petit. Coverage of the game gets underway at 12:45 pm and can be heard locally on AM 1180 and online at omahastormchasers.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2012
- Sky Sox Grounded by Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- River Cats Split Series with 9-4 Win over Iowa - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Roughed Up By Round Rock, 11-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Sink Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Noonan, Fresno Come Back to Beat Storm Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Manny Ramirez to Play at the Dell Diamond - Round Rock Express
- Manny Ramirez to Return to Albuquerque - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Blast Off in 7-4 Win - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Manny Ramirez Set to Join Sacramento River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Take Three of Four from Reno with 9-7 Victory on Wednesday - Nashville Sounds
- Isotopes Bested by Bees, 4-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Tops Aces 9-7 in Finale - Reno Aces
- Albuquerque's Brian Cavazos-Galvez Joins Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Cubs Sign Former All-Star MacDougal - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes: May 15, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Tacoma Rainiers - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Express Slide Continues at Tacoma 13-6 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Rock Express, 13-6 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Five-Spot in Ninth Sends Omaha Past Fresno - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cubs Contain River Cats - Iowa Cubs
- I-Cubs Top River Cats, 3-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Sting Isotopes 3-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.