Chiefs Win 6-2 Friday, Hoilman Hit Streak to 24May 11, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Peoria Chiefs
In the bottom of the first, Paul Hoilman extended his team record hit streak to 24 games, while giving Peoria an early lead in the process. Taiwan Easterling singled with one out and was joined on the basepaths by Rafael Lopez. Hoilman pulled a double down the left-field line plating Easterling and putting the Chiefs on the board, 1-0. Wes Darvill kept the early rally going slapping an RBI single into left field to make it 2-0. An out later, Marco Hernandez flared a two-out RBI single into center continuing the scoring at 3-0. The Chiefs still weren't done as Yaniel Cabezas muscled an RBI single into left allowing Darvill to score, as well as Hernandez after an errant throw from right fielder Wang-Wei Lin extended Peoria's lead to 5-0.
Ryan Cuneo jump started the bottom of the third with a high fly ball off the wall in right resulting in a leadoff triple. Cabezas once again muscled an RBI single right over the drawn-in infield pushing the lead to 6-0.
The Snappers cut into the Chiefs lead in the top of the fifth. Tyler Grimes and Lin strung together back-to-back base hits putting men on second and third for JD Wiliams. Williams grounded out to second allowing Grimes to cross home cutting the lead to 6-1.
Beloit got one step closer in the top of the seventh thanks to a solo shot off the bat of Jairo Rodriguez against reliever Sheldon McDonald, trimming the deficit to 6-2. McDonald and Jeff Lorick prevented the Snappers from getting any closer to preserve the 6-2 win.
Jensen (4-2) hurled 5 2/3 innings, allowing one run on five hits, walking one and striking out two. McDonald replaced Jensen in the sixth, going 2 1/3 innings, allowing one run on three hits, walking one and striking out two. Lorick came in to finish out the game in the ninth, going one inning and striking out two.
Casey's General Store Player of the Game - Marco Hernandez (SS) & Yaniel Cabezas (C) - Both Hernandez and Cabezas finished 3-for-4 Friday combining for three RBI. The two RBI for Cabezas marked a new career-high. The three hits was also a career-high for Cabezas, as Hernandez tied his career-high with the trio of hits.
Notes: With his RBI double in the first, Hoilman extended his record for the longest hit-streak in Peoria Chiefs history to 24 games stretching back to April 14The current streak is the longest in all of professional baseball in 2012 and tied for the longest in the Midwest League since 2005Both DeVoss and Easterling extended hit streaks of their own to seven games...The two RBI for Cabezas is a career-high...Friday was Cabezas' first career three-hit game...Hernandez also tied a career high with three hits...The Chiefs snapped an eight game streak in which the opposing team had scored first...The five first inning runs marked the most Peoria has scored in the opening frame this season...Peoria's six run lead was tied for the longest they've had this season on an opponent...The Chiefs are now 4-7 in games started by left-handed pitchers...Peoria is now 7-4 in day games...Lorick now leads the team with 12 appearances on the season...The Chiefs will start a four game series Saturday night at 6:30 as they host the Burlington Bees... Saturday is the first post-game Fireworks show of the season presented by CEFCU...The first 1000 fans through the gates get a Peoria Chiefs umbrella giveaway courtesy of Hardees...Saturday is also Star Wars night with appearance by Darth Vader, Storm Troopers, Jedi Knights and more from the Midwest Garrison - 501st Legion...The Chiefs will send RH PJ Francescon (3-1, 2.48) vs. Bees RH Raul Alcantara (2-3, 5.08) for the BeesThe broadcast can be heard, starting with the pre-game show at 10:45 a.m. on www.peoriachiefs.com/listenlive which also has downloads for a free app on the iPhone, iPad, Blackberry and Android
Midwest League Stories from May 11, 2012
- Bees Crush Four Homers in 12-8 Win over Kernels - Burlington Bees
- River Bandits Fall 5-4 in Series Finale with Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Complete Sweep with Walk-Off - Kane County Cougars
- Hawks Nip TinCaps for 3-2 Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods double up Lansing - Lansing Lugnuts
- Glaesmann's Five Hits Help Hot Rods Avoid Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers go long to beat Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Montilla Plays Long Ball in Series-Clinching Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Captains Drop Finale to Dragons 5-4 - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Lose Lead, But Score Late to Win 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps Rally for Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Update on Jace Peterson - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Tyler Ybarra Placed on DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps TV Show Premieres May 21st - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- RHP Joe Ross Heads to DL - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Win 6-2 Friday, Hoilman Hit Streak to 24 - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Players and Mascot to Visit Greene County Schools Next Week - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for May 11 - Dayton Dragons
- Gaviglio, Bandits Top Wisconsin, Halt Losing Streak - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.