Lugnuts romp, 13-5, over Hot RodsMay 10, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
The Lugnuts set season highs in margin of victory, hits, runs scored and runs scored in an inning, blowing the game open with a six-run third.
Chris Hawkins delivered two of his three hits in the third inning, finishing off the rally with a two-run single to center to send Bowling Green starter Ryan Carpenter (Loss, 4-2) to the showers.
Before his departure, Carpenter gave up 14 hits and nine runs in just 2 2/3 innings.
Each member of Lansing's starting nine collected a base hit and scored a run by the fourth inning.
Berti led the Lugnuts' hit parade, collecting singles in the first, second, third innings before adding a seventh inning double.
Third baseman Andy Burns added a 3-for-5, 3-RBI performance, clocking his team-leading fifth home run of the season.
The rout overshadowed the first blemishes on touted prospects Justin Nicolino and Aaron Sanchez's stat lines, as each Lugnut pitching phenom gave up his first earned runs of the year.
The Hot Rods reached Nicolino for three runs on six hits in four innings, including a mammoth Josh Sale home run to right. The left-hander struck out four batters in watching his ERA increase to 1.17.
Sanchez (Win, 4-0) similarly struck out four batters in four innings, allowing only a two-out, two-run Tyler Goeddel double in the sixth. His ERA rose to 0.78.
Ajay Meyer pitched a perfect ninth inning to finish off the Lugs' easiest victory of the year to date.
The Lugnuts send right-hander Jesse Hernandez (3-1, 1.67) to the mound at 7:05 p.m. on Friday night, looking for the three-game sweep. Bowling Green counters with right-hander Roberto Gomez (1-1, 4.55).
The homestand finale is Avengers Night and a Facebook Friday at Cooley Law School Stadium, with postgame LAFCU Fireworks. Tickets are available online at the team website at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from May 10, 2012
- Chiefs Lose 6-5 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits blast two homers to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Fort Wayne Loses 3-2 to South Bend - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts romp, 13-5, over Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Calixte Slams Cougars to Victory - Kane County Cougars
- Goeddel Doubles Home Two in Defeat - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Inciarte Delivers Again, Hawks Down TinCaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lake County Arms Hold Dragons Down - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Win Pitcher's Duel 2-1 - Lake County Captains
- Lansing Lugnuts Announce Roster Moves - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Win Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels fall to Burlington, 8-6 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Move Precedes Tonight's Game - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Beat Kernels in Front of Big Crowd, 8-6 - Burlington Bees
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers to Let Fans Run the Show on June 25 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rivero Named Rays April Pitcher of the Month - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for May 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.