Goeddel Doubles Home Two in DefeatMay 10, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Bowling Green Hot Rods
After Lansing scored three times in the bottom of the first, the Hot Rods battled back to scrape across a pair in the top of the third inning. Tyler Goeddel and Ryan Brett began the inning with singles and then both advanced 90 feet on a double steal. With runners at second and third and no outs, Jake Hager lifted a ball to right field to score Goeddel on the sacrifice fly. The next batter was Matt Rice, who grounded out to score Brett. At the end of two and a half, Lansing led Bowling Green 3-2.
That would be as close as the Hot Rods got on Thursday evening in Lansing as the Lugnuts then answered with six runs in the bottom half of the third. Hot Rods starter Ryan Carpenter only lasted until two outs in the third inning, allowing nine runs on 14 hits. The Lugnuts went on to score a run in every frame except three as the Hot Rods allowed a season-high 13 runs.
Not going down without a fight, the Hot Rods added two more to their tally in the top of the sixth inning off of Lansing pitcher Aaron Sanchez, who was appearing in relief of start Justin Nicolino. Sanchez allowed a two-run double to Tyler Goeddel with two outs, the first two runs that the hard-throwing righty had allowed in 20 innings to begin the season.
Highlighting the Hot Rods night at the plate was the Goeddel two-run double, his second hit of the night. Leadoff man Ryan Brett, who extended his league-leading on-base streak to 27 games, and Joel Caminero also had multi-hit nights. Josh Sale hit his first home run in a Hot Rods uniform, a long fly ball out of the stadium and onto Larch Street beyond right field.
Bowling Green brings their brief, three-game series and road trip to Lansing to an end on Friday night at 6:05 PM CDT from Cooley Law School Stadium. The Hot Rods will give the start to RHP Roberto Gomez (1-1, 4.55), while the Lugnuts will counter with RHP Jesse Hernandez (3-1, 1.67). Tune in to the game on the flagship station for the Hot Rods Radio Network, 1340-AM "The Ticket", or online at 1340wbgn.com. Join Hank Fuerst for the Forever Communications Pre-Game Show at 5:45 PM.
The Hot Rods return home to Bowling Green Ballpark on Saturday at 7:05 PM to begin a four-game series with the South Bend Silver Hawks (Future D-Backs). That night is Camping World Fireworks Night at the ballpark. For ticket information, visit BGHotRods.com or call the Hot Rods Ticket Office at (270)-901-2121.
Midwest League Stories from May 10, 2012
- Chiefs Lose 6-5 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits blast two homers to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Fort Wayne Loses 3-2 to South Bend - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts romp, 13-5, over Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Calixte Slams Cougars to Victory - Kane County Cougars
- Goeddel Doubles Home Two in Defeat - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Inciarte Delivers Again, Hawks Down TinCaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lake County Arms Hold Dragons Down - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Win Pitcher's Duel 2-1 - Lake County Captains
- Lansing Lugnuts Announce Roster Moves - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Win Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels fall to Burlington, 8-6 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Move Precedes Tonight's Game - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Beat Kernels in Front of Big Crowd, 8-6 - Burlington Bees
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers to Let Fans Run the Show on June 25 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rivero Named Rays April Pitcher of the Month - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for May 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.