Knights Walk-Off with 6-5 Win in Wednesday's Night-CapMay 10, 2012 - International League (IL) Charlotte Knights
Jim Gallagher's bases loaded broken-bat base hit to right brought home Dan Johnson as the clock struck 12 on a crazy night in Fort Mill. The frenetic rally ended a marathon night that also saw the finish of a suspended game go 14 innings and end in a walk-off as well.
The Knights got two home runs from Jordan Danks. Danks tied the game at one in the second when he launched a monster home run over the right field wall. Early on, he continued to be the sole source of offense for the Knights (17-16) when he blasted his second homer of the game in the fourth to make it 2-1.
Former-Knight Brad Eldred had a big hit for the second night in a row in the fifth when he doubled in two to give the Mud Hens a 3-2 lead. The double gave Eldred 40 RBIs on the season. He came home on a Matt Young base hit to make it 4-2.
The Mud Hens added another run in the sixth after a triple and passed ball.
The potential tying run came to the plate in the eighth for Charlotte but Danks flew out to center. Gallagher then lined one off the pitcher who found it quickly and threw him out at first to end the inning.
Things got interesting in the ninth as Chris Bootcheck (0-1, 3.12) walked the bases loaded. A Greg Golson sacrifice fly scored Ray Olmedo to make it 5-3. Johnson lined one off first base to bring in Ozzie Martinez and make it 5-4. Josh Phegley walked with the bases loaded to tie the game and set up Jim Gallagher's heroics.
The series finale is set for Thursday at 7:15 p.m. Left-hander Charlie Leesman will get the ball for Charlotte and Andrew Oliver will oppose for Toledo.
International League Stories from May 10, 2012
- Knights Drop Finale to Toledo 2-0 on Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Use Long Ball to Take Series - Syracuse Chiefs
- Yankees Win Third Straight Game with 4-3 10 Inning Victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Toledo Mud Hens, Fifth Third Bank Help Local Food Bank - Toledo Mud Hens
- Gomez Rescues PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Gartrell's Walk-off Homer Lifts G-Braves in 10th - Gwinnett Braves
- IronPigs Salvage Series with 5-1 Win over Indians - Indianapolis Indians
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Thursday, May 10 at Pawtucket - Rochester Red Wings
- Baseball Month in Rochester - May 10 - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Gwinnett - Buffalo Bisons
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Walk-Off with 6-5 Win in Wednesday's Night-Cap - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.