Colon, Lake County Top Dragons 4-1May 9, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Dayton Dragons
Lake County took a 1-0 lead in the second inning and Colon, who fired seven scoreless innings against the Dragons in his last start, took command. He allowed just two hits over his first seven innings of work.
The Dragons scored their only run in the sixth inning to tie the game. Theo Bowe walked to start the rally and stole second. Juan Perez walked and Junior Arias sacrificed the runners to second and third. Ryan Wright's ground out to shortstop tied the game at 1-1.
But Lake County immediately regained the lead in the bottom of the sixth inning on a two-out, run-scoring single by Robel Garcia to make it 2-1. The Captains added two more runs in the seventh to close out the scoring.
Dragons starting pitcher Daniel Tuttle was ejected from the game by plate umpire Ronnie Teague after issuing back-to-back walks in the second inning. James Allen replaced Tuttle and pitched extremely well to provide a lift to the Dragons bullpen, which was forced into use for 14 innings in Tuesday night's marathon doubleheader. Allen (1-1) gave the club four and two-thirds of long relief, allowing just two hits and one run with one walk and no strikeouts. He was, however, charged with the loss after he allowed the tie-breaking run in the bottom of the sixth inning.
The Dragons finished with four hits. Bowe, Perez, Steve Selsky, and Yovan Gonzalez each had a single.
The Dragons (13-20) meet the Captains in game two of the series on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. (WONE 980 AM Radio). Tanner Robles (2-1, 2.67) will start for Dayton against Lake County's Cody Anderson (2-1, 2.42). The next home game is Saturday, May 12 against the Lansing Lugnuts.
Midwest League Stories from May 9, 2012
- Timber Rattlers Come Back to Bite River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Win Pitchers' Duel - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin pounds out a win over Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Doomed from Start vs. Kernels, 14-2 - Burlington Bees
- Kernels blast Bees, 14-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoilman Breaks Hit Streak Record, Chiefs Lose 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Lugs ride Walden, end losing streak - Lansing Lugnuts
- Sale Drives Home First Run But Hot Rods Fall in Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Rally to Beat LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Colon Dazzles the Dragons, Captains Defeat Dayton 4-1 - Lake County Captains
- Colon, Lake County Top Dragons 4-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Homestand Notes for May 12-15 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Garrido Receives First Promotion of Season - Kane County Cougars
- Final Scheduled High School Game at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Portillo Leads Fort Wayne to 5-2 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hawks Held Hitless into Seventh, Fall 5-2 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for May 9 - Dayton Dragons
- Cuevas, Loons Take Game, Series from SB - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Split Marathon Doubleheader with Fort Wayne - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.