Tough 8-7 Loss Is Sour End to HomestandMay 8, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Charleston RiverDogs
Dalles's (3-6, 2 RBI, run) game-winning hit allowed Delmarva to escape Charleston with a split of the four-game series. David Baker (1-0) got the final out of the ninth and pitched a scoreless tenth to get the win.
The ending came after a wild ninth inning that saw the teams put up matching four spots in a tie game. Delmarva got their runs with two outs on a two-run single by Wynston Sawyer (2-4, 2 RBI, run) and a two-RBI double by Connor Narron after loading the bases on two singles and a walk. The RiverDogs fought back, opening their half of the ninth with a single and a pair of doubles, the second by Kelvin De Leon scoring two runs and cutting the deficit to 7-5. The RiverDogs then loaded the bases and with two outs, Dante Bichette, Jr. (2-5, 2 RBI) singled back through the middle to tie the game. They couldn't muster up the same magic in the tenth, however, going down in order to end the game.
The action started early as the Shorebirds took a 1-0 lead in the first inning, with the rally beginning when their leadoff batter reached on a dropped third strike. After a fielder's choice, a single moved the runner to third and an RBI single by Jason Esposito gave them the early lead.
The RiverDogs tied the game in th e bottom of the second on a sacrifice fly by Ben Gamel, scoring Tyler Austin, who had doubled. In the fourth inning they scored twice to take the lead. The first run came on Gary Sanchez's first homer of the year, over the wall in dead center. Three batters later, Gamel singled, then stole second and scored on an Angelo Gumbs (3-5, RBI, run) base hit.
Delmarva struck back in the fifth with two runs to tie up the game again. Dalles doubled to knock in one run and Esposito's second single of the game scored the tying run. The game remained even at 3-3 from then on until the crazy ninth inning.
BALLPARK FUN: Fans came out to The Joe to take advantage of buy-one, get-one ticket specials at the stadium box office on Two-for-Tuesday, sponsored by Star 99.7. Those at the game could sample Sweetwater 420 and Blue Moon on the concourse as part of another Craft Beer Tap Tuesday. Nurses Appreciation Night was also held by the RiverDogs as part of Nursing Week.
COMING UP: Following a four-game road trip to West Virginia, the RiverDogs return home for a seven-game homestand. The team will face off against the Savannah Sand Gnats and Rome Braves during their time at home, with the first game taking place on Monday, May 14 at 7:05 pm. Camp Happy Days will be featured on Dogs With A Cause Night, sponsored by 105.5 FM The Bridge. Fans who visit the Ashley View Pub can take advantage of Hair of Dog Monday with $1 beers, thanks to 98 Rock. All mothers will be welcome at the park for Another Mother's Day at Riley Park.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 8, 2012
- Tough 8-7 Loss Is Sour End to Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Gnats Boil Claws in 6-1 Win Tuesday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Shorebirds Win Thriller over RiverDogs, 8-7 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- BlueClaws Drop Final Game of Roadtrip 6-1 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Legends Hold off Tourists 2-1 - Lexington Legends
- Crawdads Rained out in Kannapolis on Tuesday Night - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators, Crawdads Rained Out - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Former Wildcat Meyer Goes against Legends' Tropeano Friday - Lexington Legends
- Legends Open Four-Game Homestand Thursday - Lexington Legends
- Trio Combines for First 9-Inning No-Hitter in Drive History - Greenville Drive
- RHP Jarret Miller Activated from DL - Rome Braves
- Three 'Dads Win Rangers Monthly Awards - Hickory Crawdads
- Sand Gnats to Host Fundraiser for Children of Otis Brock III - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Suns Downed by GreenJackets in Rain Shortened Game, 8-1 - Hagerstown Suns
- GreenJackets Earn Split With Rain-Shortened Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mayor Joe Riley, Bill Murray Selected for SAL Hall of Fame - Charleston RiverDogs
- Captains Inaugural Beer Festival June 9 - SAL
- Carolyn McKee Named to South Atlantic League Hall of Fame - Asheville Tourists
- Budweiser Clydesdales Appearing in Kannapolis Today Only from 4-7pm Before Intimidators Game - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Dylan Bundy Named Minor League Pitcher of Month - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Announce Benefit Game to Support the Mitchell Akers Leopard Spirit Memorial Scholarship Fund - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.