Naturals Bats Come AliveMay 7, 2012 - Texas League (TL) Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The Drillers offense wasted not time getting to Naturals starter Marks. Shortstop Josh Rutledge led off the game with a double, and later scored on an RBI single from Nolan Arrenado to make it 1-0.
The Naturals offense got things going in the bottom of the second inning with three straight singles by Eric Duncan, Rey Navarro and Carlo Testa. Ryan Jenkins followed with an RBI ground out to tie the game at one. Paulo Orlando followed with an RBI of his own, and Christian Colon laid down a squeeze bunt that scored Testa to give the Naturals a 3-1 advantage.
The Naturals offense broke the game open in the fifth inning. Myers socked his tenth home run of the season on the first pitch he got from Drillers starter Joe Gardner to make it 4-1. The home run for Myers was his fourth in his last five games. Johnny Whittleman followed with a double, and later scored on a Mario Lisson triple to make it 5-1. Navarro tacked on an RBI single of his own to cap the three run inning with the Naturals up 6-1.
Marks (2-1) turned in his second straight solid outing going five and a third innings allowing five hits and one run, while striking out a season high seven. Michael Mariot came on in relief of Marks and fanned the first two men he faced to end the sixth inning.
Mariot allowed just one run in two and two thirds innings of work and struck out a season high four. Patrick Keating worked the ninth inning to finish off the Naturals third consecutive victory.
The Naturals will go for a sweep of the four game series on Tuesday morning at 11:00 A.M. The Naturals will send right-hander Greg Holland (0-0, 0.00) to the hill against the Drillers left-hander Edwar Cabrera (3-2, 2.87). The game can be heard on ESPN 92.1 The Ticket or seen on MiLB.TV (with subscription).
Texas League Stories from May 7, 2012
- 5-0 Shutout Ends Travs Three-Game Skid - Arkansas Travelers
- Tulsa's Offensive Woes Continue - Tulsa Drillers
- Frisco Fifth Does the Trick - Frisco RoughRiders
- Cardinals Blanked by Arkansas 5-0 - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals Bats Come Alive - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Game Notes, May 7 vs. San Antonio - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Royals Farm Report May 7 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Odorizzi Named Pitcher of the Week - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers Back Home Thursday - Tulsa Drillers
- Cody Decker Named Texas League Player of the Week - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.