Crew Signs T&T World Cup Veteran Chris BirchallMay 7, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Columbus Crew
The 28-year-old joins the Crew after spending the last three seasons with the Galaxy. He was signed in 2009, joining the team midseason and making his MLS debut on July 16, replacing David Beckham in a match against the New York Red Bulls. Birchall went on to appear in 57 matches with 46 starts, netting one goal and three assists on his way to helping Los Angeles win two MLS Supporters' Shields (2010-11), two Western Conference Championships (2009, 2011) and MLS Cup 2011.
"We were looking for some experience and Birchall knows the league very well," said Crew head coach Robert Warzycha. "He's a hard-working, experienced midfielder and we're a hard-working team so he is going to fit in well."
A 5-9, 180-pound native of Stafford, England, Birchall came through the youth ranks of local club Port Vale of England's Second Division (now League One), where he began his professional career in 2001. While at Port Vale he appeared in 78 matches and tallied seven goals. In 2006 he transferred to Coventry City of the English Championship where he appeared in 29 matches. After short loan spells with Scottish side St. Mirren and Carlisle United, he moved on to Brighton & Hove Albion, also of the Championship division, appearing in nine matches to finish the 2009 Championship season.
While at Port Vale, Birchall caught the eye of Trinidad & Tobago coaches and was invited to join the team, being eligible to represent the country because his mother was born in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad. He was called up in 2005 for World Cup qualifiers against Panama and Mexico after impressing the coaching staff in friendlies against Bermuda.
Birchall went on to help the team qualify for the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, scoring a huge goal against Bahrain in a playoff on Nov. 12, 2005. He started all three group stage matches of the tournament against Sweden, England and Paraguay. In total, Birchall has appeared in 39 matches for the Soca Warriors, tallying four goals.
"I feel delighted to be joining Columbus Crew," Birchall said. "I want to thank everyone who made the move possible. I've played against the Crew a number of times and know how passionate the fans are. Now I can't wait to work hard and battle for them. That's what it's all about. Hopefully I can add something to a very good squad and use my experience from Galaxy to help improve our league position."
Founded by American sports pioneer Lamar Hunt, the Columbus Crew is Ohio's Major League Soccer club, anchoring a diverse sports and entertainment enterprise. One of the league's Charter Members, it won its first MLS Cup championship in 2008 and has also won the 2002 U.S. Open Cup and MLS Supporters' Shield titles in 2004, 2008 and 2009. It is now in its 17th season overall and 14th at first-of-its-kind Crew Stadium.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 7, 2012
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Weekly Update: Pickens Sets Rapids Shutout Record - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Add Edu to Roster, Waive Janniere, Put Labauex on DL - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Goalkeeper Richard Sanchez Joins Mexico U-20 Squad for European Tournaments - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- D.C. United, U.S. Department of State Announce Sports Exchange for Egyptian Soccer Coaches - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Return Home to Host Two of MLS' Best - Chicago Fire
- Timbers U-23s to Host PSA Elite in First Round of U.S. Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy to Host Real Madrid on August 2 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Crew Signs T&T World Cup Veteran Chris Birchall - Columbus Crew
- Sporting KC Prepares to Face Fire - Sporting Kansas City
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Earthquakes Set to Kick off Xfinity Youth Soccer Clinic Series In - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Madrid, AC Milan, Paris Saint-Germain and LA Galaxy Join the 2012 World Football Challenge - MLS
- Weekly Update: Red Bulls Host Houston, Visit Philadelphia in Busy Week - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Adds Empire United as Youth Development Partner - New England Revolution
- BBVA Compass Stadium Announces Updated Parking and Traffic Information - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.