First Shutout of 2012 Gives BlueClaws VictoryMay 6, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Lakewood BlueClaws
The victory for Lakewood snaps a five-game losing streak and ended Savannah's winning streak at six games. The win is Lakewood's first victory on their current seven-game road trip. They are now 10-18 on the season and improve their road record to 3-11 on the season.
Mike Nesseth picked up the win for Lakewood after entering the game in relief of starter Kenny Giles who pitched four scoreless innings. Nesseth, whose record on the season is now 2-1, did not allow a hit and only walked one Sand Gnat while striking out four over three innings.
Matt Campbell entered with one out in the 8th inning after Ryan Duke was struck off the foot with a ground ball up the middle. Campbell entered with two runners on base in a 4-0 game which meant his final 1.2 scoreless innings were enough to record his first save with the BlueClaws in his third appearance with the team.
Already leading 2-0 in the 6th inning, Bob Stumpo led-off the 7th inning with a single to set the stage for Aaron Altherr's second home run of the season. Altherr hit a homer in the second game of the season (his 6th at-bat of the season), and he had not hit a home run in 98 at-bats prior to his 6th inning blast that hugged the left field foul line and gave Lakewood a 4-0 lead.
The BlueClaws and Savannah will dual in the third game of the four-game series in Monday evening. Ethan Stewart (0-1, 2.19) will start for Lakewood and enters his start just outside the Top-10 in the South Atlantic League in ERA. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 6, 2012
- RiverDogs Cruise Past Shorebirds, 8-2 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- What Williams Starts, RiverDogs Finish - Charleston RiverDogs
- Crawdads Put the Brakes on Intimidators with 5-3 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Hit Three Homers to Top Kannapolis - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Chop Braves, 11-3 - Greenville Drive
- Massey Parks Two In Asheville's 8-5 Win Over Lexington - Asheville Tourists
- Asheville Evens Series with 8-5 Win over Legends - Lexington Legends
- BlueClaws Snap Gnats Winning Streak 4-0 Sunday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- First Shutout of 2012 Gives BlueClaws Victory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crick Fires Six Scoreless in 4-1 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Edged by GreenJackets, 4-1 - Hagerstown Suns
- Shorebirds Game Notes vs. Charleston - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.