Fort Wayne Batters Dragons 11-1May 6, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Dayton Dragons
McElroy belted a two-run home run in the top of the first inning to give Fort Wayne an early lead, and then added a two-run shot in the fourth. Fort Wayne built an 8-1 lead over the first four innings on the way to their third straight win.
The Dragons scored their only run in the first inning to briefly pull to within a run at 2-1. Ryan Wright lined a double to the left field fence with one out and later scored on Sean Buckley's two-out single to get the Dragons on the board.
But Fort Wayne took a commanding lead in the second, scoring three more runs, keyed by an RBI double by Jace Peterson followed by a triple by Kyung-Min Na. In the third, Fort Wayne's Mike Gallic homered with one out to make it 6-1 as Fort Wayne eventually collected 13 hits on the afternoon.
Dragons starting pitcher Stalin Gerson (1-3) worked the first five innings, allowing 10 hits and eight runs (seven earned) with no walks and four strikeouts to suffer the loss. Dragons reliever Jimmy Moran allowed three runs in two-thirds of an inning in relief of Gerson. James Allen and Kyle McMyne combined for three and one-third near-perfect innings to close out the game for Dayton.
The Dragons collected six hits. Wright was 3 for 4 with a double and two singles to lead the way as he extended his hitting streak to five straight games. Steve Selsky had a double and Theo Bowe had a bunt single along with Buckley's RBI single for Dayton.
Fort Wayne starting pitcher Cody Hebner (4-1) worked the first six innings, allowing four hits and one run with two walks and nine strikeouts to earn the win.
The 11 runs for Fort Wayne were the most by a Dayton opponent this season. Dragons opponents had scored more than five runs in only one of the previous 14 games.
The Dragons host the TinCaps on Monday at 7:00 p.m. at Fifth Third Field. Centerville native Dan Jensen (1-2, 1.69) will make his first start for Dayton after 10 strong relief appearances. Fort Wayne will counter with left-hander Frank Garces (1-2, 2.78). The series continues Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.
Midwest League Stories from May 6, 2012
- Walsh Homers Twice in River Bandits' 9-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Shut out Clinton, 2-0 - Burlington Bees
- Bees Return Favor of Shutout - Clinton LumberKings
- Back-To-Back Homers Propel Snappers to 5-3 Win over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Malm Homers But Hot Rods Fall to Captains - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Comeback and Win in Kentucky, 6-2 - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Lose 9-2 Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Hold off Cougars, Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- Hebner, Homers Lead Way in 11-1 TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts rally to 4-3 win over Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fort Wayne Batters Dragons 11-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels and Timber Rattlers Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Timber Rattlers and Kernels Rained out on Sunday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cairo Completes Assignment with Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Former TinCaps Pitcher Mikolas Makes MLB Debut - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.