Sabres Sign Goaltender Lieuwen to Entry-Level ContractMay 5, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Rochester Americans
Lieuwen (6'5", 189 lbs., 8/8/91) finished the 2011-12 season ranked third among all Western Hockey League goaltenders with a 2.50 goals against average and ranked fifth with a .914 save percentage. In his second season as the starting goaltender for the Kootenay Ice, Lieuwen went 27-20-6-2 with three shutouts.
In parts of five WHL seasons with Kootenay, Lieuwen posted a regular season record of 85-59-8-7. He backstopped the Ice to a Memorial Cup Championship in 2010-11, earning WHL Playoff MVP honors after going 16-2-1 with a 2.24 goals against average and .923 save percentage.
The Abbortsford, British Columbia native was Buffalo's sixth-round pick (167th overall) in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
American Hockey League Stories from May 5, 2012
- Toronto Defeats Abbotsford 4-1 in Game Three - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Fall To Marlies In Game 3 - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Drop Game 2 to Barons 5-4 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Trotter Gets OT Winner as IceCaps Take Game 3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Trotter Leads IceCaps to OT Win over Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sabres Sign Goaltender Lieuwen to Entry-Level Contract - Rochester Americans
- Game 3 Preview: IceCaps at Penguins - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat vs Marlies Game 3 Preview - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.