Las Vegas Wranglers Advance to 2012 Kelly Cup FinalsMay 3, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Las Vegas Wranglers
On a power play in the first five minutes of the game, Aces forward Dan Kissel tallied the first goal of the night to give Alaska a 1-0 lead. Wranglers center Eric Lampe responded on a Las Vegas power play nine minutes later, tying the game 1-1 with his sixth postseason goal. To give the team their first lead of the night, Wranglers center Judd Blackwater scored at the 18:22 mark to make it a 2-1 game in favor of Las Vegas.
Both Wranglers goaltender Joe Fallon and Aces goaltender Gerald Coleman held the second period scoreless as the Wranglers outshot the Aces 12-4. The 2-1 score held through the majority of the third until Alaska went on a fourth power play with 88 seconds left in regulation. Coleman was pulled, giving the Aces a 6-4 advantage, but Wranglers left wing Josh Lunden notched an empty net goal in the last three seconds of the game to secure the 3-1 win for the Wranglers. With that win, the Wranglers took the series 4-1 from the Aces to advance to the 2012 Kelly Cup Finals, and won the Bruce Taylor Trophy for being the Western Conference champions.
Las Vegas Wranglers last won the Taylor Trophy after defeating the Utah Grizzlies in the 2008 playoffs. The Aces won the Taylor Trophy last season. The Wranglers last went to the Kelly Cup Finals in 2008, falling in six games to the Cincinnati Cyclones.
The Wranglers will face the winner of the Eastern Conference Finals, which is between the Florida Everblades and the Kalamazoo Wings, with 2012 Kelly Cup Finals dates to be announced shortly. The Everblades currently lead their series 2-1.
Playoff tickets are on sale now and can be purchased through the Wranglers front office at (702) 471-PUCK. Fans can lock in their seats by purchasing playoff strip tickets starting at $18 per game, and tickets for kids ages 12 and under are just $8. Individual Wranglers playoff tickets are available by phone at (702) 284-7777, and can be purchased in person at all Coast Casino properties, Town Square shopping center or online at www.orleansarena.com .
ECHL Stories from May 3, 2012
- Second Period Outburst Pushes Florida Past Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Take 3-1 Series Lead with 7-3 Win in Game 4 - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Announces Game Used Equipment Sale May 5 - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - May 3 - ECHL
- Equipment & Merchandise Clearance Sales Saturday - Stockton Thunder
- Wranglers Advance to Kelly Cup Finals - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Las Vegas Wranglers Announce 2012 Kelly Cup Finals Home Dates - Las Vegas Wranglers
- ECHL Today - May 3 - ECHL
- Aces Season Ends with 3-1 Loss in Game 5 - Alaska Aces
- Las Vegas Wranglers Advance to 2012 Kelly Cup Finals - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.