SaberCats Defensive Lineman Joe Sykes Named Riddell Defensive Player of the WeekMay 1, 2012 - Arena Football League (AFL) San Jose SaberCats
Sykes recorded a season-high four sacks, along with six total tackles, forced and recovered a fumble in a dominating defensive performance by the SaberCats. The former Southern Jaguar now has ten sacks in just six appearances this season, which places him at the top of the AFL rankings in that category. In addition, Sykes is now just five-and-a-half sacks behind current SaberCats teammate Gabe Nyenhuis for the AFL single season sack record (15.5 in 2010 for the San Antonio Talons).
San Jose recorded seven sacks on Saturday as a team, and forced three turnovers in the win. The defense shut the Barnstormers out in the second half, and used a 42-0 run from late in the second quarter until the end of the game to pull away for their fifth victory of the season.
Arena Football League Stories from May 1, 2012
- 05.01.12 Blaze Assigned Former Shock WR Kauleinamoku - Utah Blaze
- Blaze Face Heated Division-Rival at Home - Utah Blaze
- Philadelphia Continues to Pick up Record Pace - Philadelphia Soul
- Predators' Bobby Sippio Named AFL Russell Athletic Offensive Player - Orlando Predators
- SaberCats Defensive Lineman Joe Sykes Named Riddell Defensive Player of the Week - San Jose SaberCats
- VooDoo Dolls Ayesha, Brittney L., Daina, and Keina Visit Tulane Hospital for Children - New Orleans VooDoo
- Sharks' Holman Named JLS Ironman of the Week - Jacksonville Sharks
- SaberCats Weekly Update - San Jose SaberCats
- Sippio, Sykes and Holman Earn Week 8 Honors - AFL
- AFL Week 9 Power Rankings Announced - AFL
- Earnest Graham and Tampa Bay Storm Assistant Coach Dave Wilson to Coach Badge Bowl - Tampa Bay Storm
- Command Fail to Weather Storm, Fall to Tampa Bay 63-46 - Kansas City Command
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.