2012 WHL Bantam Draft and Awards this WeekMay 1, 2012 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Kamloops Blazers
The Blazers have two members of the organization that are award finalists. Rookie forward Tim Bozon is the Western Conference Finalist for the Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy as Rookie of the Year. The 17-year-old had an outstanding first year leading all rookies in goals with 36 and finishing with 71 points in 71 games.
General Manager, Craig Bonner is the Western Conference Finalist for the Lloyd Saunders Memorial Trophy as Executive of the Year. Bonner completed his fourth season as the Blazers' General Manager and built a team that won the B.C. Division title for the first time since 2001-02 and had their best regular season record since the 1998-99 season.
The WHL Bantam Draft will be held this Thursday and the Blazers will have the 19th overall pick. Those eligible for the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft include graduating Bantam age players born in 1996 from the four Western Provinces and the states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
Last season, the Blazers had their highest pick in franchise history and selected defenseman Jordan Thomson 4th overall. Thomson played in four regular season games as an underage player with the Blazers and recorded a goal.
Previous first round picks of the Blazers in the WHL Bantam Draft include Thomson (2011), Matt Needham (2010), Brady Gaudet (2009), Colin Smith (2008), and Brendan Ranford (2007).
For the second consecutive year, both of the WHL annual events will be available, free of charge, via LIVE webcast available at http://www.whl.ca/ .
To get updates or information on the Kamloops Blazers selections, connect with us socially on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/blazerhockey or Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Kamloops.Blazers
Kamloops Blazers 2012 WHL Bantam Draft Picks:
- 1st round, 19th overall
- 2nd round, 41st overall (To Prince Albert)
- 3rd round, 63rd overall (To Regina)
- 4th round, 77th overall (From Regina)
- 4th round, 85th overall
- 5th round, 107th overall (To Edmonton)
- 6th round, 123rd overall (From Saskatoon)
- 6th round, 129th overall
- 7th round, 151st overall
- 8th round, 173rd overall
- 9th round, 195th overall
- 10th round, 217th overall
To purchase your 2012-13 season tickets, please contact Director of Ticketing, Todd Carnelley at 250-828-1144 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Western Hockey League Stories from May 1, 2012
- Two Chiefs up for WHL Awards - Bantam Draft Thursday - Spokane Chiefs
- WHL Announces Root Sports to Broadcast 2012 WHL Championship Series in High Definition - WHL
- Shinnimin Honored as Americans' 2012 Playoff MVP - Tri-City Americans
- Winterhawks' Mac Carruth Named Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Neil Manning Commits to UBC - Vancouver Giants
- 2012 WHL Championship Series Preview - WHL
- 2012 WHL Bantam Draft and Awards this Week - Kamloops Blazers
- Winterhawks Sign Jordan Davies - Portland Winterhawks
- Stone up for Award - Brandon Wheat Kings
- WHL Championship Game Times Finalized - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pelss Signs with Oilers - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.