Wheeler And Hembree Top Stars For WeekApril 30, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL)
Wheeler helped the Aces sweep their series in Salt Lake and go 5-1 on the week as the 23-year-old hit .550 in five games. His 1.050 slugging mark was good for second in the league, fueling his 12 RBIs which paced the PCL. Wheeler also contributed two home runs, including a grand slam in Reno's 9-5 win on Sunday.
Wheeler was a 5th round draft pick in 2009 and has played mostly first and third base in the minors. In 2011 he hit 16 home runs and had 89 RBIs while batting .294 at AA Mobile. So far with the Aces he has hit .308 this season, knocking in 20 RBIs in just 23 games.
Hembree earns his accolades after going a truly perfect three-for-three in save opportunities, retiring all nine batters he faced last week to put together a 0.00 ERA as well as a WHIP of 0. The 6'4" right-hander closed the door on the Colorado Springs Sky Sox three times during their four-game series, including protecting a one-run victory on Sunday as Hembree notched a strikeout while preserving the 3-2 win.
The native of Spartanburg, NC was selected in the 5th round of the 2010 draft. Hembree was recently rated as the San Francisco Giants' third-best prospect according to Baseball America after leading all of Minor League Baseball with 38 saves in 2011. The Grizzlies closer is 1-0 with a 2.00 ERA and 5 saves on the season, striking out six batters so far in his first stint in the PCL.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 30, 2012
- Craig Clubs Redbirds Past Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Fireworks, Cinco De Mayo Fiesta Highlight Homestand Events - Tucson Padres
- Craig Crushes Cubs - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Shutout RedHawks, 5-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Schafer and Sounds Sink Storm Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Lambin Leads Zephyrs to 5-3 Win in Round Rock - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Schafer Provides Game-Winning Hit in Sounds' 4-3 Win over Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Express Drop Opener against New Orleans 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- RH Berlind Joins I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. New Orleans Zephyrs (Miami - Round Rock Express
- Wheeler Named PCL Player of the Week - Reno Aces
- Wheeler And Hembree Top Stars For Week - PCL
- Storm Chasers Award Two Local High School Students with Scholarships - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Home for Four Games Starting Friday, May 4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.