Drive Blanked, 6-0, in Finale at DelmarvaApril 27, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Greenville Drive
Salisbury, MD - The Drive and Delmarva Shorebirds dueled to a scoreless tie through the game's first five innings Friday night. But when Greenville was forced to go to the 'pen after a strong outing from Mickey Pena, the home team tagged Drive relievers en route to a 6-0 victory in the finale at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
Pena retired the first nine batters he faced before giving up an infield single to Glynn Davis in the bottom of the fourth. It would be the first of two hits in the inning for the Shorebirds, but both runners would be left stranded. An inning later, the southpaw retired the first two batters he faced, but then issued a walk to Mychal Givens, bringing an end to his outing.
After retiring the loan batter he faced in the bottom of the fifth, Hunter Cervenka (0-2) saw eight Delmarva batters an inning later. Following walks to Davis and Brenden Webb, Justin Dalles broke up the 0-0 tie when he ripped a two-run single. Sammie Starr concluded the inning, knocking in two more runs, with a double.
The Shorebirds' Tyler Wilson (3-1) matched Pena pitch-for-pitch in the early going, the only difference was that he hung around for 6.0 innings. The right-hander scattered three singles and a walk, while striking out seven.
Devin Jones picked up where Wilson left off, earning his second save, by tossing 3.0 scoreless innings to secure the shutout victory.
Delmarva added two more runs off Tyler Lockwood in the bottom of the eighth on Nick Delmonico's two-run homer.
The Drive now travel to Garden State (New Jersey) for a three-game series with the Lakewood BlueClaws, affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. First pitch for Saturday is set for 4:05 PM from FirstEnergy Park, as Greenville sends right-hander Jason Garcia (0-1, 4.73 ERA) to the mound. Lakewood will counter with lefty Lino Martinez (2-1, 8.55 ERA).
The Drive return home to Greenville on Wednesday, May 2nd, beginning a seven-game home stand with the Lexington Legends. For more information, or to purchase single-game tickets, group outings or luxury accommodations, please call (864) 240-4500 or log onto GreenvilleDrive.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from April 27, 2012
- Miller Hits Suns' 5th Grand Slam in 9-3 Win Over Braves - Hagerstown Suns
- Asheville defeats Lakewood 4-3 - Asheville Tourists
- Six-Run Ninth Inning Leads to Rome Loss - Rome Braves
- GreenJackets Clubbed to Death - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Shut out Charleston 7-0 Behind Cruz - Lexington Legends
- Grasshoppers Spring by 'Dads on Friday Night - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Blanked, 6-0, in Finale at Delmarva - Greenville Drive
- 7-3 Loss Sends BlueClaws to 3-Game Skid - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Shorebirds Shutout Drive 6-0 to Win Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Fails - West Virginia Power
- Lex Is More: Legends Beat RiverDogs Again - Charleston RiverDogs
- Shorebirds Game Notes vs. Greenville - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.