Bees Lose Game Two to TinCaps, 6-2April 26, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Burlington Bees
The Bees jumped out to an early lead after shortstop Sean Jamieson smacked a triple off the rightfield wall with one out in the top of the first. B.A. Vollmuth hit a groundball down the third base line that went for an RBI double.
After Vollmuth stole third base, Dusty Robinson hit a groundball out that drove Vollmuth in from third. But the Bees only had three more base hits throughout the next eight innings. Even worse, the Bees didn't have a hit after the fifth inning.
Jonathan Joseph had his best start of the season for the Bees, but his strong performance came after a mistake in the first inning. With two outs and a runner at first base, Joseph gave up a two-run homerun to Travis Whitmore. Whitmore is actually from Burlington, Iowa and played his college ball at Pittsburgh before being drafted by the San Diego Padres in the 35th round of the 2011 draft.
The game stayed tied at 2-2 through the next seven and a half innings. But the usually reliable Jeff Urlaub faced trouble in the bottom of the eighth and gave up the lead when Whitmore drove in Donovan Tate with a line drive into rightfield. Whitmore finished the night going 2-4 with two runs scored, a home run, and a total of three RBIs.
The TinCaps would eventually score three runs (two earned) off of Urlaub and another unearned run off of Drew Tyson in the bottom of the eighth. The Bees' offense went three up, three down in the top of the ninth and took the 6-2 loss in game two.
Tomorrow night the Bees play the rubber match of the three game series in Fort Wayne before they head to Lake County for the ladder half of their six-game road trip. The Bees return to Burlington on May 2 for a 6:30 p.m. game with Quad Cities. For information on tickets, call (319) 754-5705 or visit www.gobees.com.
Midwest League Stories from April 26, 2012
- Bees Lose Game Two to TinCaps, 6-2 - Burlington Bees
- McInnis Throws Six Shutout Innings in 5-1 Bandits Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Tie in 9th, Win in 10th at Wisconsin - Dayton Dragons
- Great Lakes Blashed in 8-4 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons claw past Rattlers in ten - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- South Bend slams Kernels 10-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts continue pitching mastery, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hawks Pound out Season-High 17 Hits for Fifth Straight Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Snappers Win Three in a Row - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Defeat Chiefs 7-6 in 11 Innings - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Four-Run First Enough against Hot Rods - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Lose 7-6 in 11 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Blanked by Lugnuts - Kane County Cougars
- Final Weekend of High School Games at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Move - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Gameday for April 26 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.