Captains Comeback Falls Short as They Lose 6-5April 24, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lake County Captains
Kane County scored first in the bottom of the third inning when three straight hits plated two runs. A single by Michael Antonio and a double by Jorge Bonifacio mad the score one to nothing and then a single by Lane Adams made it two to nothing Kane County.
The Cougars added to their lead in the fifth when the hero of game one of the series was at it again, Danny Mateo homered to right field making it a three to nothing ballgame. That set the stage for the sixth inning for Kane County.
The Captains did not go quietly in the ninth inning. Trailing six to nothing, the Captains batted around and scored five runs. Alex Monsalve led off with a double, then Alex Lavisky walked, and Nick Bartolone reached on a fielder's choice where everyone was safe. With the bases full Robel Garcia, and Leonardo Castillo each singled home one run and the Captains played station-to-station baseball on the bases. The score was six to two when Jerrud Sabourin came to the plate and he laced a single to right field scoring two, cutting the lead to two runs, and still no one was out. Sabourin represented the tying run and Castillo was on third. Todd Hankins hit a one out sacrifice fly to right field plating the final run for the Captains. Francisico Lindor came to the plate representing the go-ahead run, but was struck out to end the ballgame and the Captains fell six to five.
Captains starter Joe Colon (1-2) took the loss for the Captains. Colon pitched four and one third innings allowing seven hits three earned runs while walking three and striking out a trio as well. Rob Nixon entered the game in relief and his final line was one and two thirds innings pitched allowing four hits, three earned runs two walks and a strikeout. Grant Sides also pitched for Lake County and went two innings of hitless and scoreless baseball. Sides walked one and struck out three.
The Cougars starting pitcher Santiago Garrido (3-0) was credited with the win after pitching shutout ball for six and one third innings. He gave up just three hits one walk and struck out three. Brooks Ponders pitched for Kane County and went two and two thirds innings allowing six hits all five runs, thee were earned with a walk and three strikeouts. Pounders also committed a throwing error in the five run ninth inning.
The Captains will return to Classic Park on Wednesday night at 6:30PM. The Captains will take on the Peoria Chiefs and send RHP Cody Anderson (1-0, 3.00) to the mound against RHP Michael Jensen (3-1, 1.50) for the Chiefs. The Chiefs will be making their only trip to Classic Park in two years with this three game set in Eastlake.
Full season tickets plans, 7-, 12-, 20-, and 35-game mini ticket plans for the 2012 season are on sale now at great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
The Lake County Captains are a Class A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians and play their home games at Classic Park in Eastlake, at the corners of State Route 91 and Vine Street. For more information on the Captains, please visit the team's official website at www.CaptainsBaseball.com.
Midwest League Stories from April 24, 2012
- Kernels rally but fall to Dayton, 3-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hawks Sweep Away Rattlers with 10-4 Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Hawks complete sweep of Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Hold on for 3-2 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Score 5 in 9th, But Lose 11-9 to Loons - Burlington Bees
- Walsh Homers Again, But River Bandits Fall in Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Road Trip Ends with 7-3 Win at Clinton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hoilman Beats Lansing With Walk-Off Slam - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Hang on for Series Win - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Comeback Falls Short as They Lose 6-5 - Lake County Captains
- Hoilman, Chiefs slam Lugnuts in 9th, 6-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Red Hot Vettleson Delivers Hot Rods Another Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for April 24 - Dayton Dragons
- Upcoming Home Stand April 25-30 - Beloit Snappers
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for April 25-30 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Begin Six-Game Home Stand Wednesday Featuring Western Division Opponents - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Add Concepcion, Cabezas in Roster Moves - Peoria Chiefs
- No Nuts, Please; Peanut-Free Games Set for May 9 and 10 - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.